Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High roots on my Lucky Bamboo stalks

Posted by blinkerthesun1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 18:42

Hello there!

I have a question that is probably naive. I have four lucky bamboo stalks that are a little too tall. They have been in pretty deep water, so the roots have grown higher up on the stalks. I was wondering if it is possible to cut below the highest roots so that I could grow another plant while keeping the ones I have going strong. They are spiraled at the top with only a couple of shoots, so I don't want to have to cut them to make a new plant. Is my question completely ridiculous? Here are a couple more pictures of them: http://imgur.com/a/jC6gg

Sorry for the sideways picture!

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High roots on my Lucky Bamboo stalks

I have never had any luck growing a Lucky Bamboo that has had the main root system cut off. This just does not seem to be a good idea. In theory I guess you could cut somewhere in the rooting area of the stalk, add some rooting hormone and hope for the best. It just doesn't seem to be a good plan to separate a healthy plant from its main source of food for the weeks or months it will take to develop new roots. I don't recommend it.

o
RE: High roots on my Lucky Bamboo stalks

Sure you can trim them back just dont take them to close to the stem leave at least 2 to 4 inch's according to how old the bamboo is I have lotus plants they are a cousin to the lucky bamboo and there roots also grow fast in fact I know they grow faster than my Luck Bamboo. Just dont get to happy with the scissors and cut them off to short also I never cut off the white roots and the ones growing up the stem you can break those off and just keep the water level down below that area so it will not grow back after a few years you need to let the roots grow out a bit and plant them up in a clay pot with good soil and just make sure you keep them damp if not they will rot because they need dirt to actually live in. All things that have roots have to get the nutrition in the soil. They will grow and be just as beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here