Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PicsLucky Bamboo Algea and problems

Posted by claritamaria Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 20:28

Hello
I am an orchid person but have some lucky babmboo. The one that is very special to me is ailing. I moved from Miami some months ago but it began ailing there

Since I grow orchids I have good conditions. I grow the LB on a window sill that is glass block

I have 2 other LB's which are doing fine so I am at a loss and pray you can help

1) The algea problem. The roots are full of it. The roots are so bound that the rocks etc are stuck. I have tried to add a drop of phyhton to the water and a bit of superthrive but no luck. Is this ok to have or should I get rid of the Algea?

2) there is no odor to the algea water

3) The main stalks are bending and yellowing however there are 2 little shoots coming up, one has really thrived and a second to follow.Is this a normal cycle of lucky bamboo

4) what are the whitish spots on the main plant? Also why are the tips browing? I use 2-3 drops of superthrive but this was happening before I did it

5) I have heard that LB like to live in "dirty water". This water is distilled. I have also tried tap water

How do I save this plant? My boyfriend gave it to me and he has passed away
Thank you for any answers you may have for me
Clara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PicsLucky Bamboo Algea and problems

Change the water! Get rid of the algae. Clean out the glass. Rinse the roots every time you change the water. Use very little fertilizer and very seldom.

o

how do i get rid of the algea? ohyton in the water? and this is newly changed water you are seeing in the pics ;-( the roots are green

o

It appears that the yellowing is starting above the place where the canes are tied together with something red. Loosen that tie or get rid of it altogether if you can.

o

I hate to say it, but if this were mine, I would cut the overgrown tops off completely, make several cane cuttings (propagate in good potting soil), and I would also let those new little shoots take over.

I don't know WHAT the heck is going on with that water, but a heavy growth of algae on the roots like that is not good for the survival of the plants.

By taking cuttings, you will be doing something proactive in keeping this plant going for many years. The way it's going now, you will simply be watching it decline steadily.

If you are interested in learning how to propagate this plant, let me know.

o

This Dracaena is a classic example of this plants capabilities to tolerate a wide range of culturing conditions. It's growth will be
impressive with an ideal favorable growing method.

o

UPDATE: This plant is on its way back to health! Dorie thank you so much! I decided to cover all the bases, sterile agar, soil/peat/perlite/spag mixture and just plain old water. The soil mixture is producing the best results so far and fast!

Thanks to all for your help
Clara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here