Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pomme8916

propagation

pomme8916
17 years ago

I was wandering if ar some point it will make flowers if so what color? Any fruit? if i do take a cutting, hiw mand days will it take to root?

Comments (17)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana will neither flower nor fruit when grown as lucky bamboo inside. Cane cuttings can take anywhere from a couple to several weeks to root, depending upon the time of year and the environment of the rooting area.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1033206}}
    Dracaena sanderiana can flower inside when given the proper conditions. REmember these are native in the wild and when brought inside their habitat has to be replicated. Patience is the key. They will NOT flower for many years. Most people's dracaena suffer from neglect. Therefore, they will not flower under such conditions. If you would like to know more, I would be glad to help.

• serenityinbamboo
    17 years ago

I have had mine for about 8 years. It requires constant maintenance, but is worth it!
    [IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/vglynch/IMG_0117-1.jpg[/IMG]

17 years ago

Don't you folks have another hobby? Seems sort of sad that you come in here to pester and confuse those with some honest questions.

• serenityinbamboo
    17 years ago

I really have "Lucky Bamboo" and love my plants. It was one of the real reasons I got into other plants, trees and grasses! I have it in flowing water and use Leaf Zone aqarium plant fertilizer and Superthrive. I am proud of the fact that it is still alive after all the horror stories and average life expectancies I have heard about. I am not to computer literate and am unable to properly post my picture. Sorry for any offense.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

rhizo_1, I think you twisted what I had said. I did NOT say it had edible fruit. I'm sorry if it sounded like I implied that.

17 years ago

And what kind of flowers are growing amongst your dracaenas? (Both of you.) ;-) THAT'S my only point, lol!

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

Is that Mexican lucky bamboo, lkz5ia? My neighbor has some bamboo that is just starting to bloom ALL OVER with beautiful red blooms. I didn't get very close, but I think your flowers are even bigger than hers! But hers had a lot more flowers all over. She said it was Mexican bamboo so that's why I'm asking.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

Mexican bamboo isn't related to Lucky bamboo. A real twist is that neither are real bamboo. Mexican bamboo comes from the mountains of the Sierra. It is used as a summer pollen source for bees. People in that region use the canes for all sorts of things, including building huts up in the mountains. If I recall, mexican bamboo was being promoted as a biomass crop. But in the United States it is considered a weed. The plant usually has a creamy colored flower with a tint of auburn. If the plant has dark red flowers, it could be a cultivar called 'crimson beauty'. There are other cultivars out there. 'miss tide' 'rose gem' 'gonada' and I think there are others. Most of the cultivars are selected for flowers that have pink or red colors.

• tuanh
    17 years ago

i don't think lucky bamboo ever bloom! back in Viet Nam i have seen it grown tall 2 meter height to form some feet thick and up to 20 meter long fence line, but it never bloom.

• jakeorch
    17 years ago

Do these really bloom? Honestly..

17 years ago

Jake, all plants flower at some time as long as the conditions all fall into place at the right time. Dracaena sanderiana (Lucky Bamboo) does flower, but you should never expect it to happen with those grown as house plants and certainly not if grown in water.

Some of the dracanea have fairly attractive and fragrant flowers, but D. sanderiana blooms are what would be called insignificant (from the human point of view).

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

rhizo_1 did not twist lkz5ia's post. rhizo_1 always carefully reads the posts before responding.

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

I have an orchid that looks a lot like that flower. Lol.

• drosphilia
    15 years ago

Dracaena sanderiana is a monocotyledon and falls in the group of angiosperms. Since, Dracaena sanderiana is an angiosperm it will flower. According to wikipedia many bamboo types flower as occasional as 60 or 120 years. Therefore you will rarely see a flower if ever. If you do find a flowering bamboo then you are very lucky and should take a good look and picture!

I'm not sure if Dracaena sanderiana is a gymnosperm so I'm not sure if it will produce seeds. In nature I believe the roots provide the shoots which propagate forests of bamboo.

Asexual production is the common methods of propagation for lucky bamboo. You may look into various plant propagation methods such as:

rooting of cuttings (the common method for bamboo),
    tissue culture,
    and bioreactors.

These are only a few general methods that I can think of on the top of my head. Orchids are common decorative flowers added to D. sanderiana as seen in the picture above.

Happy Growing!!!
    Drosphilia_Melanogaster@yahoo.com

• Bon_062
    12 years ago

Lucky bamboos are not bamboos. The order of Dracaena Sanderiana is Asparagales while bamboos fall under Poales.

Angiosperms such as D. Sanderiana do flower. Since they flower, they bear seeds. Angiosperms after all fall under the Spermatophyte which comprises of plants that bear seeds.

Bioreactors are not in my league, I know nothing of them. All else are correct. D. Sanderianas can also propagate using the Node Cutting method.

I am just pointing out the errors. Others may use this page for their reference.

• Bon_062
    12 years ago

Nope, not all plants bear flowers. All those plants which does not belong to the Spermatophyte classification do not flower. Some of them form gemmae, a substance formed by a cell or a mass of cells which will eventually grow into a new body of a plant. Another way is through spores.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz