Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time to transplant from water to soil. Best instructions?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i Schenectady, NY 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 13:04

Yep. I'm done with the standing-water routine. Every time I water my dracaena, I watch the perfection fade away. I have it in a clear plastic cup, and the minerals from the water and the stones and what not are starting to cloud up the clearness. I'm sick of it. I'd say it's time to piss off the plant by sticking it in potting soil. I checked with the previous question where it said "repotting to soil unsuccessful" or something like that, but it didn't help me much. I already tried to repot one of my stalks a few weeks back but then I saw it begin to shrivel. So, I dug it back up and stuck it back in water. It's doing fine so far, but still has no shoot growing out of it.(By the way, how long should it take for a ribbon dracaena stalk to produce a shoot after the new growth has been separated from it?) It's doing better now. So, back to the stalk I'm talking about. So this stalk has about 8 inches of growth coming out of the top of a possibly 9 inch stalk. That's the new growth that I removed from the stalk I asked about above. So THIS stalk has a root system large enough to allow slow growth. Is it safe to remove this stalk and place it in soil? Here's some images of the stalk at question:

Top growth
Stalk
Roots
Full plant
Minerals and crap collecting on the cup
Growth meets the stalk
Full plant with it's respective partner

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time to transplant from water to soil. Best instructions?

I am a bit confused at your wording but here's a shot.

You can remove the stalks from the water and plant them in potting mix. keep the mix moist for a month and they will take root. They should never wilt. If they do, cover them in a clear plastic bag for a week.

The shoots can be removed and rooted in water or soil. They root quickly and also should not wilt throughout the process. Just stick them in a pot and keep it moist.

The stalk the shoot is cut from in the second scenario will not initiate another shoot. It needs at least one shoot to survive. Dispose of it.

o
RE: Time to transplant from water to soil. Best instructions?

YES!!! I HAVE SUCCEEDED!!! THANKS A LOT! I've noticed new growth in my stalk between yesterday and this morning!

Since it is now thriving in soil, what's the difference in care instructions? Will it have a different appearance? Will the trunk turn into a brown wooden-looking trunk? Will it grow faster? Will it be healthier and live longer? Any other info regarding the change would be wonderful. Thanks in advanced!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here