Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Lucky Bamboo - Pot size?

Posted by nabq Indoor (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 19:10

Hi, We were given a lucky bamboo plant about six years ago, potted in soil in a small traditional oblong container that's about 12" long, 3" wide and 2 1/2" deep. On the whole the plant is thriving, but the roots seem to be getting quite crowded and the tips of some leaves are browning. We read that lucky bamboo doesn't like too much extra space for its roots, and that one shouldn't re-pot into too big a pot. If we repot, what would the optimum size of pot be? Can we pot it in soil as deep as 7" or 8" or would that be too much? Any other suggestions about repotting would be most welcome. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Lucky Bamboo - Pot size?

I agree that Lucky Bamboo do not mind having their roots tightly packed together. I would not go so far as to say that they do not like extra space for root growth. These plants grow naturally below the canopy in rain forests with diffused light.

As far as width, I suggest a container that has no more than 1-2 inches space around the stalks. Roots should be 3 inches or so below the soil surface and you want room for drainage so a pot 6" tall seems about right.

For a 6" pot, pack about 2 inches of soil at the bottom of the pot. Place your plant in with the root system on top of this packed soil. Do not insert the roots into soil. This will make the roots point up and roots want to point down. Then pack 3-4 inches of soil over the root to just below the top of the pot. Lucky Bamboo like tight soil.

Some people like a layer of rocks near the bottom of the pot to help drain away water from the roots. If your pot has drainage holes this should not be neccesary but it is your call. Lucky Bamboo like damp soil but not saturated.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lucky Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here