Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased Acer x Freemanii: Treatment?

Posted by rebuscannebus 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 11:06

Hello.

I have a ~10 year old Acer x freemanii Autumn Blaze that over this passed winter lost a large swath of bark. Photos can be found at the link below.

Can anyone diagnose the problem based on these photos? Is there any hope of salvaging this tree, or should I just hang it up and cut it down? FYI, now that it's summer, the tree is growing vigorously and the foliage looks completely healthy. OTOH, we've now detected what look like more cracks in the bark similar to those that preceded the previous bark loss, so we're not too optimistic at this point. Any help appreciated.

Peter

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseased Acer x Freemanii Autumn Blaze

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased Acer x Freemanii: Treatment?

Losing a large swath of bark over winter sounds like sun scald or some sort of sun damage. Usually it happens from sun reflection off of the snow onto the trunk, but you live in Z8 and that may not be an issue for you.

I can't get the pic to work but it depends on the trunk/bark damage. If it only is lost 25% or so around the tree, it should be fine, 50% or so, good lukc, you'll need it, more than 50% it's likely girdled and a total loss. Without seeing your picture the best you can hope for it that it it an up and down loss and not around the perimeter of the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here