Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bob

staking japanese maples--can i do it

t-bob
10 years ago

Hi All,
Last year I planted into the ground a Japanese maple that I had in a pot for probably 15+ years. It is about 4 foot tall and 6 foot spread. It transplanted just fine and a lot of the leaves fell off, then re-leafed just fine.....THEN, those little &%$&**&^ bambis came and ate all the leaves. I surrounded with fencing and it once again re-leafed......BUT, I don't want to have it fenced for the rest of its life, and I have a thought what to do.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK OF THIS SOLUTION:
what I thought I could do is to drive some tall stakes next to my tree and then tie the limbs so they go up straight and force the tree to grow upwards. Then next year, or the next, or the next, be able to remove the fencing and stakes once the limbs are high enough the deer are not able to get to the upper leaves/limbs..

do you think the tied limbs would stay going up once I removed the stakes after a year or two?.it is fine if there are not lower leaves if I can have it without fencing.

I feel like since it is mid January it is time to do this if folks think this will work--WHAT SAY YOU?---THANKS---Bob

Comment (1)