Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Afraid to prune a new JM

tcharles26
17 years ago

Attached is a picture of a A. palmatum "Oshu Shidare", bought by me this winter as a two gallon plant.

It wasnt much of a two gallon plant, when I barerooted it to plant it, it was pretty obvious it grew this summer in a one gallon can and was just put into the 2 gallon can this fall or winter. As an aside that annoys me because I'd rather not pay to ship an extra gallon of dirt and I think its still a one gallon plant until it grows a season in a 2 gallon pot!, it's just a tall one gallon plant. But I digress.....

Anyway, my question is about pruning it. As you can see there is a sharp fork about 18 inches off the ground where i guess the terminal bud died a year or two ago and a new leader was not selected. So it grew two. Ultimately, Ill have to pick one I guess, but I dont know when.

I like japanese maples but this is the first one I put in the yard and Id like it to have some leaves to grow a little, but I guess the longer I leave it the worse the wound on the tree. Any thoughts or advice?

{{gwi:1034562}}

Comments (3)