Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgodman

October Glory/ Sun Valley Maple growth habit question/input pls

rgodman
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a spot. I want a nice bright red fall tree in front of my house. The area I would put this tree is about 15' from our power/phone line that crosses over our front yard. So basically the tree would have no growth restrictions except this power line which would be 12' up, and 12' to the left of the tree. I also grow/play with bonsai.. and my thought is to plant the tree, and literally bonsai style it. Develop a main leader and wire/turnbuckle it to sweep to the right.. growing diagonally with a second (first branch) towards the power line and pruning and ramify it to be basically a "pad" well below the power line, and have the apex directed well away from the line.
Has anyone tried to modify growth habits of either of these trees (even a red maple) like I am describing? I would think it could be done. Just really looking for input.

I had also looked at the Fire Dragon cultivar of the Shantung maple which would be ideal for this, but you can only buy them in Texas, they do not ship them, and I cannot make that drive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ray

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert