Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridzation between A. saccharum and A. truncatum?

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 7, 07 at 17:36

Is it possible? I just planted 2 of each in my yard and wondered if they'll hybrid with each other. Down the road, I'd probably will want and try to grow trees from seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridzation between A. saccharum and A. truncatum?

Highly unlikely, since I believe Acer truncatum is one of a number of species with milky sap, while Acer saccharum has clear sap. The general rule for maples is that species with milky sap do not cross with those that lack it, and vice versa. A number of hybrids between such milky and nonmilk-sapped species have been described through the years, but to my knowledge have all turned out to be false.

But that's not to say it isn't entirely impossible. Dirr mentions in his 1998 Manual that he found a Paperback-Sugar (griseum X saccharum) hybrid in a seedbed. Also, I will soon have a Sycamore-Paperbark (griseum x pseudoplatanus)Maple hybrid coming to me soon via forestfarm: a cross I never expected to see.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 9, 07 at 13:26

Assuming those two hybrids are correctly interpreted. If not verified in some ~reliable way, like genetic analysis then they are what has been called presumed hybrids.

o

• Posted by gomero SW France, Z8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 17:32

Bboy is right. Those claims of unlikely hybrids need to be substantiated to be credible.

Gomero

o

Thanks. Where do Red maples and Silver Maple fall in? I think a couple neighbors have Silver Maple and one neighbor has red maple. I don't know why they have red maple. The soil is nothing but crushed limestone dirt which is naturally high pH. They even know that but still chose to keep it. It should be interesting to see how it turns out later on.

By the way, my sugar maple is 'Caddo' which came from southwestern Oklahoma. Does great in alkaline rocky soil, hot and windy summers. Mine still have brown leaves on. They seem pretty tough to pull off twigs so they look bit messy. I can only imagine what it'd look like in 15 years. A tree full of brown leaves in the middle of the summer! LOL...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here