Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Root Pruning, soil & my JMs

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 20:36

Hi all!

Just wanted to report on some of the JMs I repotted last fall (a year ago) and their progress.

The ones I root pruned and put into one of the recommended soil mixes here, doubled in size. Boom! Big.

The 3 I repotted & pruned in the spring were (a bad idea) hit or miss. My Dissectum Nigrum didn't care, but I lost a Kashima and Hogyoku took a morte. Died. So sad. My Kashima was 7 years old and it just didn't stand for it.

So.... although I didn't get to repot some this fall, I have 7 that MUST be repotted or just plain put in the ground.

I credit this great growth to the soil mix and getting air. My Crispa, a Koto no ito and Red Pygmy (a red Koto no ito) just thrived. Corillium wasn't sure, but did well. There are more, but I'm convinced.

Fall root pruning and a great, oxygen available soil.
Thank you for all your great recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Root Pruning, soil & my JMs

Glad to hear of your success.We all have to experiment and in the case of JMs usually with some fatalities along the way.Many people simply can't root prune in autumn as they know in a few short weeks temps. will quickly and dramatically drop to well below freezing.I have a choice temp-wise but do it in autumn because spring is so windy and wet here.Young JMs don't always survive this without my interference so I'm not gonna stress them more.Obviously spring repotting is going to delay their take off anyway but they should catch up eventually,but if they've had a hard time in winter it could tip them over the edge.
On a similar theme I've had to experiment with the best time to do the main pruning of the trees.For me pruning during dormancy is a bad idea.My climate is only briefly cold enough to halt bacterial growth and pruning cuts at this time are often infected and spread unhindered through the plant.I've even had a couple of untouched 6footers knocked out by this,so again I'm not gonna risk it anymore.
We all live and learn and it's certainly disheartening when you lose a nice plant....but it's always an excuse to get something to replace it :)
Wishing you&everyone a continued success this year....spring's not far away YAY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here