Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JM near Black Walnut Trees

Posted by neverenoughflowers 6 SE PA Chesco (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 21:33

Hi, I am new to Maples, I usually hang out at Cottage Garden and Winter Sowing. I have several Black Walnut trees on my property. I also have some maples but not in close proximity to the walnuts. I would like to incorporate several JM in an area close to the walnuts. Does anyone have any success stories to share? Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JM near Black Walnut Trees

Most maple species are resistant to the allelopathic effects of black walnuts, Japanese maples included. I would still have concerns about planting these trees where they would encounter a lot of root competition from the walnuts - the competition will slow establishment and there's a risk of the walnuts hogging all the soil moisture and nutrients. I'd provide additional attention to both watering and mulching to supply nutrients.

o

Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. Carol

o

I don't think there will be that much root competition with a walnut. I have over 500 hostas under a canopy of mainly walnut trees and they do fine. I chose the BW due to the fact that they are taprooted trees and don't have very many surface roots.
Do a google search for more information or call your local forestry office.

o

Whether or not a tree develops a so-called tap root has little bearing on the appearance and location of the rest of the root system. All trees will concentrate the bulk of their roots very close to the soil surface, typically within the top 12-18", with most of the very fine and dense feeder roots directly below the soil surface. That's where the oxygen, soil moisture and nutrients are located and so that's where the roots predominate. Any forestry or arboriculture resource will confirm this.

It is one thing to establish smaller growing, very shallowly rooted perennials like hostas under the canopy of any large tree -- it is quite another to plant another tree or large shrub. The root systems will compete and the larger one usually wins unless special care is provided for the smaller species until it is well-established. Often this need for additional attention will persist, especially with drought intolerant species like Japanese maples.

o

If you plant them too close, they will lean, or stretch for the sun.

o

Which side of the walnuts are you fixing to plant the maples on?

My theory is the south side of a row of walnuts will have more sun than the north side. Think about the old moss on the north side of the tree trunk thing.

Black Walnuts in my yard get their leaves late and dump them early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here