Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardiest Japanese Maple

Posted by shapiro 5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 21:40

OK - who can tell me the very hardiest Japanese Maple? I've been told recently that they can handle the cold, it's the drying wind that does them in. One suggestion was to wrap the tree before the cold winds blow.

Each time I see J.M.s, I go all gaa-gaa, but they break you heart - spring comes and your little gem is d-e-a-d!

Thanks anyone who has good suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardiest Japanese Maple

In order of hardiness I would say

1. Acer psuedosieboldianum
2. Acer japonicum cultivars - Aconitifolium is great and Green Cascade
3. Acer shirasawanum - Autumn moon and Aureum are great
4. Acer palmatums like - Emperor I, Bloodgood, many of the mounding ones have stood up well like Red Dragon, Viridis, etc. Also seed grown species palmatums are supposedly tougher as a general rule (at least that is what I have been told)

Much of the hardiness issues depend on what time of year the leaves emerge. Some varieties break bud earlier and therefore are exposed to a severe frost which then kills them. Most of these maples don't like strong wind, especially when their leaves are new. So the trick with them in this zone is siting them where they are protected from the strong winds and also a site which doesn't get too much sun or warmth to early in the season. Mulch well for the winter to help insulate their roots. There are quite a few people on this forum that grown them here in Z5 that can give plenty of recommendations on the palmatums which have or havent worked for them. Do a search on this forum for more lists.

Willis

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 30, 07 at 23:47

If you are purchasing small plants using something like Wilt-proof might help them get established. Then again you are on the northern limit so the wind may always be a limiting factor. David

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 31, 07 at 17:11

You might want to look up acer Robustum. I have seen it and the stems are much thicker than typial acer palmatums which may make it hardier. I think you can get it in a tube from forest farm. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here