Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree started to leaf out! What to do?

Posted by marchela Z6, NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 22:14

Hello,
I recently purchased 2 maples from ebay. A purchased from the same seller before - always a good quality at good price. This time, when the trees arrived, I ponted out that the one of them, "Ueno Yama", started to leaf out (the other trees are still in dormant condition). I planted it in a pot and keep in attached sun room along with 6 other JMs. The day temperature in sun room is around 5-7C and 0C at night. I just realized that Ueno Yama continue to leaf out. The February didn't begin yet and it's usually the coldest month in our zone. What should I do with the tree if the leaves will unfurl fully in the next couple weeks!?
Thank you very much in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree started to leaf out! What to do?

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 22:24

If you have an attached garage that doesn't get below freezing but stays very cool I would place it there. If not you might gave to bring it inside. If it is leafing out it must have had a long enough cold period. By the way who did you purchase from?

David

o

This is a common problem buying mail order.since many growers are from milder climates..but unusual for this early ... those that buy from etailers in winter or early spring should always request dormant trees or better yet have delivery when weather warms to a point you can be comfortable with ...for me that is mid April... just remember if you are an impatient type always check to see that they are dormant ...the same in late fall,,,but remember they may not be as dormant as you think depending on how cold it still is (spring ) or for how long (fall) at their point of origin I have biought several in late fall early winter from the west coast that were not nearly hardened enough to be planted out and survive...David

o

Where are you located? Maybe if you are close enough to me you can bring them over and put them in my greenhouse.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here