Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckenna_gw

Beni Kawa

mckenna
16 years ago

My 1st post didn't post so lets try again.

Anybody up north growing this with any success? Should I bother or go for A circinatum 'Pacific Fire' and can Pacific Fire be trained to be more tree like? I'm kinda jones-ing for a red bark maple.

Pics would be great

Thanks

Bill

Comments (14)

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

I haven't had much luck with 'Pacific fire' but I think it may be because of the South Carolina heat. It is beautiful in winter and spring, but the leaves get fried rather quickly. I notice that you are a bit farther north, so you might not have such troubles. I don't think it would be as easy to train into a tree as 'Beni kawa', but with a little pruning it shouldn't be too problematic. I have only had experience with 'beni kawa' under nursery conditions but from all accounts it has performed better in my area, but I doubt it would fair as well as PF that far north. Perhaps David or someone up there has had better experiences.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

You'd expect a Japanese maple to do better back there than a vine maple - especially one with yellow leaves. I have it in the shade even here in this cool and dull climate within the species' native range.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I have had little luck with any red winter barked trees but have not tried BK . But I am a firm believer in micro climates and also know many contributing causes of JM demises often in combinations make it difficult to know whether in perfect conditions it would have survived. I have grown both Sango Kaku and Japnanese Sunrise and both definitly died from the winter (IMHO)and those winters were not very cold. I think in a more protected location the Japanese Sunrise ( a really superior tree that can take summer heat and sun better than most JM's BTW) at least would have survived and maybe thrived ( micro climate )...the sango is generally as I am fond to say JUNK in it's current form so that is not a good benchmark for these types of trees. I think the trick up north is as they say in real estate but in terms of yard placement...location location location....David

• mckenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was thinking about trying Della for the BK (a Whopper is sounding good abouts now). Bboy, with the vine maple would you be more concerned with the heat than the cold hardiness? The location I was thinking about would be morning sun so I wasn't too concerned about hot sun, more about cold hardiness or enough sun to get the BK to color well if it matters for the bark.

Bill

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Based on what I have seen here will burn up for sure if not well shaded. That would be the first concern, hardiness being the next issue. Species grows on both sides of the mountains here so there may be significant variation, plants originating in interior might be quite hardy. Hardiness of cultivar could depend on what part of natural range the stock it came from originated in.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Bill,

Acer circinatum is going to need a lot of shade, perfect draining soil, and luck. I had one for a couple years, Pacific Fire, and under the shade of a Maple and each year year it got worse and worse then it just died (summer). That's gonna be a tough one I think.

You'd be much better off with other species, especially: japonicum, shirasawanum or others (even if not red-barked psedudosieboldianum, sieboldianum) that are not even palmatum. Palmatum should be your last resort really as the others are much tougher vigor-wise.

Dax

• mckenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dax, it is good to know about the circs. I still might give the BK a shot. I know, I know, palmatums are a stretch here, but what can I say. I do have some of these other asian maples and love them. Find me a red barked japonicum, shir, or sieboldianum and we can party.

Party Hardy

Bill

• conifers
    16 years ago

Best I can do on request is red-leaves!

Acer japonicum 'Ruby'
    Stanley and Sons:
    "A red leafed variety of Full Moon Maple. Leaves medium size for japonicum with a red to burgundy color. Good growth once established. Fall color is red. Plant from a seed at Don Schmidt Nursery, Sandy, Oregon.

or:

Acer shirasawanum 'Red Dawn' (I know I know! lol)
    Stanley and Sons:
    "A red Full Moon Maple. Leaves are long and red in spring. Later in summer with late push leaves are red and short like palmatum. Plant seems not stable like cross between two species. Fast upright with the most incredible red fall color.

Well I tried... ! Later Mac

Dax

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I have a probably 4 year old A.S Red Dawn and have not seen any red branch coloration winter or summer nice tree though..David

• kaydye
    16 years ago

McKenna,
    Well, ask me in about one year. In 06 I ordered (fall) from FF the following:
    Acer camp. 'Carnival'
    Acer camp. 'Pulverulentum'
    Acer camp. 'Royal Ruby'
    Acer circ. 'Pacific Fire'
    Acer circ. 'Sunny Sister'
    Acer circ. 'Sunglow'
    Acer circ. 'Monroe'
    Acer camp. 'Postelense'
    I ordered them because they were rated zone 5 and I wanted to give them a try. Also, I have quite a bit of heavy shade and it sounded like some of them, especially Carnival, would need/like it. Last summer 07, they all did well, even Pacific Fire. There was a little bit of damage Japanese Beetle-wise, I think, with the Pac.Fire, but it looked fine. I had wintered them all over in the winter of 06 next to my compost pile and they were wrapped in floating row cover and sprayed with WiltPruf. I have done the same this year, so it will be their second winter. I must say I have been surprised at how well they did. I was careful about keeping them watered during dry periods, but the heavy shade didn't bother them. The Carnivals (I later bought another-I love this one and could have about 20, I think) didn't seem to burn or anything. None of them put on much growth, but it was the first year. As far as the red bark, until and if my Pacific Fire grows, since I will wrap it each year until it no longer can be wrapped, I won't get to enjoy the coloration. I have also gotten (like you I would love to see red bark in winter) Acer penn. 'Erythrocladum' and A.x conspicuum 'Silver Cardinal'which I am hoping will do well.

Oh, by the way, I have killed two Sango Kakus and one Beni Kawa, so I am done with those in zone 5.
    Hope this helps
    Kay

• mckenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kay, good to hear yours bit it:) At least it might save me a purchase.

Dax, not enough sun in this spot for a red leaf but I couldn't turn you away from a party if I tried. Just BYOB, I ran out of my raspberry chocolate stout that I made from last summer's harvest.

Bill

• conifers
    16 years ago

Sweet Bill. That's tasty sounding. I brewed a stout from a kit in college once. Turned out real good.

Back to the subject guys:

Any of you guys growing or have opinions/long-term evaluations/results for Acer palmatum 'Herbstfeuer'? Is it a nice selection or average, above average, exceptional?

Thanks,

Dax

• mckenna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That maple sets you on fire Dax.

Who are you kidd'n, you gotta get that one regardless of other peoples experiences.

Bill

• conifers
    16 years ago

I shall have one then.

Dax

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County