Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geedavey

Groups of Japanese maples

GeeDavey
13 years ago

I have a 15x15 space in the understory of a 150 year old white oak and a 100 year old red oak. It faces south and I would call it light shade. It's a little moist, but not wet and will get regular watering.

I know Japanese maples are often used individually but i saw some pictures where someone had three or four trees together and they looked amazing with reds and greens and chartreuse together.

ANyone doing this? Which do you group? I guess the rule of three applies. I'd like one that gets high with green leaves, and maybe a shorter red one and yellow/green one.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• acer_guy77
    13 years ago

Hi geedavey,

Your in luck, there are over 400 cultivars of Japanese maples.. so finding one that fits your criteria should be only as hard as it is for you to choose.. May I suggest that you go to a local book store and look for a book called "Japanese Maples" by J.D. Vertrees, this book references more than 600 cultivars, and gives very good descriptions of each, and with lots of photographs!! and if you don't feel the need to purchase the book just take notes.

My personal favorites are "Coral Bark", "Ryusen", "Bi ho", "Calico" for a yellow orange color, and for a nice red color "Burgundy Lace" to name a few.

yes odd number of plantings are almost always desirable when you want natural aethstetics (big rule of thumb for bonsai grove plantings).

• GeeDavey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aye, that's one of the challenges with japanese maples, is the sheer number of varieties. thanks for the tip on the book.

If anyone groups maples together and has specific parinings or groupings they like, i'd love to hear.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Go for it!

Don't forget different textures as well. Or perhaps all of the same. Just get a plan.

I find a large number of folks must be taking pictures of these trees. I wish I had found pictures on a message board instead of the professional photos on the tree selling web site. Some topics will show the the trees in spring, summer and fall. That is what you want so you will have a real understanding of the attractiveness of the trees in various seasons.

Oh, and don't forget the coral barks! I am torturing a tiny 'winter flame' I stumbled into on ebay. Still though the darned fella has GREAT red bark. The dogwood bushes are envious of.

• kaitain4
    13 years ago

A nice gourping with variety of texture and color:

Osakazuki - star-shaped large leaves for the back of the group. Amazing fall color.

Aekan Ies - red, upright thread-leaf maple with a smaller habit. Leaves look like weeping willow leaves, except red.

Lemon Lime Lace - smaller lace-leaf, mounding habit with lemon-lime colored foliage that is very dissected.