Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul3636

Canobie Lake Park maples

paul3636
17 years ago

Last summer I was in Canobie lake park and saw some beautiful either Chinese, Japanese or Korean maple trees. They were the biggest I had ever seen. I picked a few seeds and have them planted in pots in my back yard.

Does anyone knows what they are and where to get them?

I tried the park but they said that anyone who did know was long gone.

Paul

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

"Chinese maple" I have seen used for weeping laceleaf Japanese maple, perhaps it being thought to look like a ming tree. Laceleaf maples are pretty distinctive, you could probably tell if you were seeing these. Most (except the vaselike 'Seiryu') grow as low mounding shrubs for a long time, unless trained up stakes to produce a taller, cascading specimen. Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) is common and highly popular, making it a good candidate; in UK other species are also called Japanese maple. Korean maple (A. pseudosieboldianum) is possible but probably not nearly as likely to be come across.

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bboy
    I think this part of southern New Hampshire is a zone 5-4 border. The 1st things I noticed was the beauty. The next was how hardy they must be to survive and grow large in this area. It sure would be nice if someone with a green thumb could propagate them.
    It may even be a cross between an asian and regular maples usually seen in this area but I don't think so.
    Paul

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Too bad you don't have pictures or leaf scans, detailed descriptions...if old and large and persisting there implication is they are something like Korean maple or extra-hardy Japanese maple. Unless they are actually an unrelated type, from a different part of the genus which it now sounds like they may be.

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

Go to this site and check out the acers. It's probably one of the numerous invasive maples
    http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/a/a.html

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I checked them all at the uconn site and it's not any of them. It looks like a large Palmatum but I din't know they got thar big. The color and shape was similar to Autumn moon (not a palmatum but considered a Japanese maple) with just a little more green. Again they don't get that big. You might be right but I got the feeling from the plantsman at the park that they probably came from a local nursery.
    I planted about 25 seeds if any of them sprout I'll post a picture of the tree and leaves.
    Paul

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

As has been said MANY times in this forum the seeds may or may not look like the "mother" tree...and it usually takes years before it really becomes true to form...If you go back to Canobie take some pics thats your best shot albiet a shot in the dark IMHO...it most likely can't be identified pr say but the basic cultivar lineage may be obvious to some of us but without a pic this is a basic waist of time ( sorry to be so blunt)...it will certainly be most likely obvius whether it is a A.p. Korean A.s or just some bizaar type ...It most likely is a seedling of no repute that will never be identified.. David

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree with you but am hoping at least one of the seedling will look like the maples in the park but with all the Sugar, Norway, Silver and Etc. It's not likely.
    I was hoping someone from that area would read the post and reply.
    Paul

• paul3636
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw pictures of Korean maples and they look just like the large maples in the park(Beautiful trees). I hope the seeds sprout and I get a couple of trees that look like them.
    Paul

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner