Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clbravo_gw

Pics of my recent purchase

clbravo
16 years ago

I had this green maple field dug from a whosale nursery which planted this as well as other trees from seed 20 years ago. I have never bought this large a tree and feel a little guilty to have such an instant specimen. The owner gave me two greens in 5 gallon pots that I will plant and nuture hopefully to this maturity and size. It had a 6.5 ft. caliper trunk and was a bear to plant due to the weight. This will be the focal point of a new planting area.

Clint

Comments (5)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If the burlap and wire basket haven't come off, they should. If the soil ball is a markedly different texture than the soil on the new site, monitor the moisture situation inside the soil ball carefully until the roots extend well into the new soil. Also keep tabs on those branches that have persisting dead leaves for signs of blighting off. Japanese maples are prone to dieback diseases and often shriveled, clinging dead leaves signal such a problem.

• conifers
    16 years ago

Great branching structure.

A 20-year old seedling, cool.

Dax

• clbravo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bboy,
    Thanks for the advice. I bought two maples a few years back from the same grower. They came from the same location in their field, one made it and another did not. I suspected die back but thought I might have screwed up choosing a location that had previously been home to a large pine tree. Eventhough the stump had been ground, and had been a few years perhaps the sap in the buried roots had not decayed and did in the Maple. But I did notice some die back on a branch on that tree when planted. The grower claims a certain amount is normal. What can be done to combat? I am sending a closer pick of leaves. I don't know if they are dead or not?
    Clint

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

6.5 caliper trunk them's man measurements and then some... unlikely.from that photo... maybe root area..

.Anyway the only problem I can see is that it looks to me like ,even though though it is a BIG root ball B&B"D, it seems a bit small to me for such a big tree... I would expect some die back ...but others may have differnt ideas.... and more experience than I with such a tall tree..and how to contravene the "smallish" root balls effect on the tree. David

.As far as you other one dying it could have been anything and you don't give us info on those trees...I don't think properly and professionally dug and thusly planted jms should have a 50% death rate... especially in that area of the country if transplanted at the proper time of year. David

• rdak
    16 years ago

Nice looking tree!!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions