Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer rufinerve 'Winter Gold' vs Acer Palmatum 'Bihou'

Posted by hallerlake WA/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 0:58

The similarity is obvious, but what are the differences? What are the advantages of growing one or the other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer rufinerve 'Winter Gold' vs Acer Palmatum 'Bihou'

The similarity is only in the bark color - and that is really most noticeable in winter anyway, when the tree is out of leaf. Otherwise rufinerve will get much larger and has rather "unmaple"-looking foliage, typically three lobed but sometimes as much as five. Have not seen fall color on 'Bihou' but rufinerves in general get very nice fall color.

Personally I am not all that knocked out by 'Bihou' but that's just me :-) Japanese maples in our area are a dime a dozen.......I'd go with something a little less expected myself, like the 'Winter Gold'.

o

Unfortunately, I've only seen the A. r. 'Winter Gold' in big buckets. I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. I've seen the A. p. Bihou' in gallons.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 13:29

I saw somebody elsewhere say the 'Bihou' was a bit weak, mine currently has tip dieback.

o

I don't know about "Winter Gold", but A.p. Bihou is a blast! Extremely hardy and vigorous on CA Central Coast, slightly inland.

It has rich, golden-orange stems that show through the delicate, green foliage, leaves being somewhat similar to "Coral Bark". I truly love it. Oh yes, it is in a container on my deck.

In late winter, it should be pruned and re-shaped for Spring.

o

Love the look of Bihou. However ours died from what I assume is Pseudomonas over the winter. Had tip die back the first winter while in a pot, was moved into garage in protected, in and EXTREMELY mild winter. So planted it out last spring, hoping for better results. Result was death in a not exactly cold winter, but colder than the year before. Mean while all other JM are just fine. IMHO, I will not be trying Bihou again.

Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here