Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rootstock for Japanese Maple

Posted by phoenixbetta 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 2:51

Hello
I want to know about the Maple grafting.
Now I have many of Red Maple (Acer rubrum) seedlings, then it can be possible or not if I use them for the Japanese Maple 's rootstock? I think they are from the same genus but I'm not sure about the compatible matching.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rootstock for Japanese Maple

The rootstock for all grafted Japanese maples is traditionally seedlings of the species, Acer palmatum. Root stock from Acer japonicum will work as well. I doubt Acer rubrum would be compatible but it might be worth experimenting with. If the graft took, you may be facing continuing vigorous sprouting from the understock, which will need to be attended to promptly.

o

Hi Gardengal48
Thank you so much
But I think it hard to sow the Acer palmatum seed right?
I tried too many time but I can't get a number of seedling.

o

Acer rubrum seedlings WILL NOT WORK as understock for Japanese Maples. Understock must be in the same genetic "family" (or SECTION) as the donor tree. In this case, members of the genetic Section PALMATA. Those species include:

Acer palmatum
Acer japonicum
Acer circinatum
Acer pseudosieboldianum
Acer shirasawanum
Acer sieboldianum

and a few more very rare species. The favorite understock plant by far is Acer palmatum. Some of the others, like Acer shirasawanum, have more fibrous stems and do not cut as cleanly as Acer palmatum. Others like Acer pseudosieboldianum do not have striaght, smooth stems; which is preferred for an understock plant.

You can order Acer palmatum understock from Pacific Coast Maples or from Heritage Seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here