Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sango Kaku

Posted by j0nd03 7 west/central AR (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 10:15

I recently purchased a small rooted cutting of this tree. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the hardiness of the root system compared to the species acer palmatum they are usually grafted on to. I will have it potted in a net pot for the next year to grow a more fibrous root system.

Thanks,
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sango Kaku

Not sure hardiness is the issue,usually vigour is one of the reasons for grafting.However sometimes it's good practice to use less vigorous rootstocks with certain cultivars(though often not practiced.)
Not sure if it's entirely relevant but one of our largest maple propagators here uses 'Senkaki' as their rootstock for a lot of their maples.Wether the offspring of that cultivar should be any stronger than a parent on it's own roots I'm not sure,but I don't necessarily see why they should .

o

• Posted by j0nd03 7 west/central AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 14:25

Interesting... I may keep this one in a pot over a couple growing seasons and see how vigorous it is. Unfortunately, I don't have a (same cultivar) baseline to measure against. I am growing two other maples ('Autumn Moon' and 'Orange Dream') in net pots and 'Orangeola' and 'Acontifolium' in ground.

Thanks for the input

John

o

Very wise John,apart from perhaps being on more vigorous roots,grafted plants have another advantage I think is often overlooked.The 2/3year graft you buy will have 4/5year old roots,no-wonder they do better.
I have Seiyru,Katsura and Beni Komachi on their own roots,though still in pots they are probably big enough to be planted here.Patience will be your greatest challenge,good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here