Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiotreeguy

October Glory Maple Tree

ohiotreeguy
10 years ago

Right now I have in my yard (4) silver maple trees, NONE have surface roots and they are pushing 40-50 feet. All are very healthy. My question is I have recently planted (2) October Glory Maple Trees and (1) Autumn Blaze Maple. I love maple trees so I am trying to only plant them. But I have heard October Glory Maple Trees have a serious problem with surface roots and I have heard others say it's not a problem at all. I have the 4 silver maple trees with no surface roots so I am wondering if I will be ok to keep the October Glory Maples without having an issue with them. Also do Autumn blaze maples have an issue with surface roots? Any help is appreciated...I will thinking about going with pin oaks if the maples are too bad. I have one in the yard, though it's not my favorite tree it doesn't have any surface roots and it planted a two feet from my driveway and isn't harming a thing. Thank you in advance!!

Comments (5)

• ohiotreeguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also we are in northern Ohio.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

What you pondering here doesn't exist - there is nothing about any one of these maples that would make it so that it had a bunch of roots higher or lower in the ground than the others. They are all large-growing maples that will come to dominate the site with their big tops and their big sod-like pancakes of roots starting right at the surface and going down from there, until a depth where the soil does not have enough air or looseness for numerous small roots is reached.

"Surface roots" - as in big roots sticking up out of the ground and interfering with mowing - will primarily be a feature of how far along each tree is in its development, rather than what kind each is.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 23:25

• ohiotreeguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I always hear people saying how terrible silver maple trees are and not to plant them whether its because they are deemed invasive, messy and because of surface roots. These ones on our property were planted I would have to say 30-40 years ago if not older and yes they are huge. As of last summer I didn't see one surface root anywhere in the yard. I also have a few flower beds around them and haven't had an issue.

I was just unsure if the surface root problem of the October Glories were as big of an issue as people make it seem, since clearly the issue with silver maples doesn't exist in my yard...I also should add that the largest silver maple is 4 feet from our septic tank but not close to the leach field, never had a problem with the septic tank, foundation, concrete driveway or anything.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

If you don't have surface roots after 40 years, you are not likely to due to your soil type. My folks planted 4 silvers about 55 years ago. One near the house and in the thickest clay has very bad surface roots, the others do not.

I'd be more concerned about your planting only maples. If something comes along that kills maples (like emerald ash borer is doing to ash trees) you will have a barren landscape.

tj

• ohiotreeguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like the fast growing qualities these maples have and their fall colors. Any suggestions of other faster growing trees with great fall color?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville