Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melo10

winter and potted maple

melo10
15 years ago

Spokane had record snow in Dec. I had 2 of my potted maples in the garage and decided to bring into laundry room---in less than 30 days, it bloomed and now its sprouting leaves like crazy!! guess I'll keep it in laundry room with 2 foot window (gets afternoon sun in) till Spring!!

Comments (2)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Dormancy requirement ("chilling hours" to orchardists) had been met so as soon as sufficient warmth was experienced buds opened and shoot growth began. Keep them cool, bright and humid. Provide shade for a time after planting out. Leaves formed indoors will not be able to adjust to outdoor light levels. Try putting shading on the south sides, behind from which new growth can grow up into greater exposure.

As it is Spokane you will probably have to plant these in a partially shaded area anyway. Even over here the purple-leaved forms in particular are liable to fade and burn unless planted in a position with an extra moist atmosphere such as a heavily watered lawn or lakeside garden.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

"Spokane had record snow in Dec. I had 2 of my potted maples in the garage and decided to bring into laundry room ..."

So how deep did that snow get in your garage that you had to bring the trees indoors? ;o)

Though many believe that growing a tree indoors during the winter speeds development - it doesn't - unless there is a sophisticated light/humidity set-up in place, and you're able to keep them pest free - not an easy task when the tree is low on energy reserves, which also lowers its natural defenses. Trees grown indoors that would be perfectly happy resting in a nice cold spot are often using more energy than they are making. Even if they are growing strong enough to be net producers of energy, rather than net users, any loss of foliage (the tree uses energy to replace it) caused by adverse cultural conditions are likely to offset the gain. Thus, the tree starts the spring with much lower energy reserves than it would have had, had the tree been allowed its preferred cold rest. You can speed o/a development and increase o/a annual biomass of your trees by overwintering trees at temperatures >25* and Mimicking Mother Nature has its upside. She knows what's best for her trees & only grows them where cultural conditions are sufficiently favorable. Nary a tree is native to the confines of our homes.

Al

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer