Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

What would you choose?

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi all!

I have lost a 40' (unknown type) maple to the ice storms here. Peeled it like a banana. Quite shocking.

Anyway, with any loss comes opportunity. I now have a place that offers severe sun, but late afternoon shade. What this means at the peak of our summer/heat, is that from 3:00 -> sunset, it's in shade. It does get full, unmitigating sun until then, though.

I'd like to try using one of my many (138) Japanese Maples here. If you could choose any upright that you know would take that kind of horrible heat and sun, what would you pick? Height will not be an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Christine

Comments (7)

• gomero
    17 years ago

Sherwood flame or Fireglow for reds
    Seyriu for green
    Summergold for yellows if you can get hold of it

Gomero

• gomero
    17 years ago

Sherwood flame or Fireglow for reds
    Seyriu for green
    Summergold for yellows if you can get hold of it

Gomero

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

Well, I think it would depend very much on what types of trees/shrubs you have nearby as well as the color of your house and how close it is to these things.

'Bloodgood' (or similar red varieties) are always nice unless you have a red brick house in the background. 'Katsura' or 'Seiryu' would be better suited against brick in my opinion. 'Omureyama' would be another good tree. I'd really have to see your yard to pick one. I'd steer clear of the 'shin deshojo' types or variegated types.

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

Well, I think it would depend very much on what types of trees/shrubs you have nearby as well as the color of your house and how close it is to these things.

'Bloodgood' (or similar red varieties) are always nice unless you have a red brick house in the background. 'Katsura' or 'Seiryu' would be better suited against brick in my opinion. 'Omureyama' would be another good tree. I'd really have to see your yard to pick one. I'd steer clear of the 'shin deshojo' types or variegated types.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

Christine,
    While I don't know that I have a good suggestion for a replacement, I can commiserate with the loss of your mature maple (which is probably a blessing in disguise). I have a lg. Norway maple in my yard, that I go back & forth about removing-if the ice storm had taken it down, I might have been relieved. But it's a mature, healthy tree, w/ some squirrel nests, so I don't have the heart to axe it-YET.

You have so many varieties to choose from, it's probably more overwhelming then if you had a limited assortment. My yard is small, so the only JM I have that is classified as an 'upright', I think, is Iijima Sunago, whih I planted in the fall-I like it alot. Good luck with your choice...

• picea
    17 years ago

I know it is not a japanese maple but I think paper bark maples look great and add winter interest. David

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all.
    I have each and every one you've mentioned. I was leaning towards the Fireglow, Iijima Sunago, yet LOVE the Sherwood Flame, Autumn Flame, and Seriyu. I love reds, but am getting into the shadings of the reds -> oranges.

I also love the paperbarks, and have considered one of those peely birches.

Thistle5, I know your division. This maple (which isn't near the house, so house color doesn't particularly matter) receives its shade in the afternoon from a HUGE, 80' fir of some kind. Supposedly, 30 years ago the previous owner stuck their Christmas tree right, smack-dab in the middle of the yard so it blocks everything. All my front/roadside gardens, and from side to side.

However, it's absolutely perfect. Healthy, and a million things life in it. From the stray cats, to birds, to snakes, you name it. The darned thing is to amazing to consider removing.

I did the first year, try to find a government office or someone to use it as a Christmas tree. Evidently you have to know someone for that, but even then? The guilt would have been far too much. Plus, since the stupid owner raped the 6 acres I have of hardwoods (for money), this is one of the few mature trees on the property. I've planted 55 in 5 years, not including my JM collection, but they're small.

Anyway, thanks all for the thoughts. I have some time to work with this, needless to say. Plus, rabbits bit a TON of my collection down to just above their grafts, so I have to wait and see what's going on with them in the spring. That, too, was heartbreaking.

Christine

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County