Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Maple for So Cal

Posted by highlander08 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 13:27

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking forward to learning and contributing. I would like to plant a good shade tree to help shade the house during the summer months. We are in Riverside County. I have always loved maples and realize that most of the species probably aren't a good choice for this region. I have seen maples....or at least I think they were maples in and around the LA area. the leafs are very big! Can anyone suggest a species of maple that would be successful in this region. Anyone have good experiences or tips on things to avoid. Thanks for all the help.

Gil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Maple for So Cal

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 16:10

Sweetgum (Liquidambar) is noticeable in parts of southern California. However, if the leaves are big maybe you are talking about sycamore or planetree (Platanus). A couple of these are even native to the region. If you took some good pictures and put them up it would be easier to find out what they are. You could also try taking samples to a good independent garden center, where it seems somebody might know the local trees. Images or samples of the fruits, if present often assist greatly in quick identification.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here