Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting

Posted by mattlwfowler (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 14:04

I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone has done any unusual grafting this winter. I guess what I mean is, has anyone tried grafting any rare or difficult cultivars? Or has anyone grafted multiple species on the same rootstock?

This week I plan on trying to graft a 'waterfall' on an existing 'tamukeyama' that was grafted two years ago. I've also got a couple of 'bloodgoods' that have just taken, but I haven't attemped any tough cultivars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting

Herter has done this and sells such ( BTW I like and respect John alot) as do several other east coast nurseries and ...BUT I think in most cases these multi grafted "multi" cultivars look hideous. ( I've seen some large full grown ones that would make ya puke!! IMHO)..and are a travesty ... similar cultivars types ( color and leaf style shape atc) "can" IMHO look "ok" but you really have to have an artistic eye. It is a GIMMICK and for most of us purists... not something we'd ( I ) be interested in ...David

o

Now that I think about it I can see how it could be quite ugly. Especially varieties that have different habits and totally different qualities (although I wouldn't put something like a butterfly with an inaba shidare if someone held a gun to my head, ICK!) I guess I'm just a contrasting color freak, and I envisioned tufts of green and purple changing to yellow and red. I'm glad you posted this, I hadn't really thought about the downside.

o

i think it will look great if you stick with similar species and do some nice pruning. meaning upright varieties only or cascading trees only not mixing and matching between the two.it is something i plan on doing right now my focus has been on growing the trees from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here