Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sugar Maples

Posted by cobra01 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 11, 10 at 14:10

Is it too late now to purchase Sugar Maple seeds and plant them this spring without a 3 month cold stratification period? Is there any other faster way of germinating Sugar Maple seeds? I plan to plant them in propagation trays.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sugar Maples

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 12, 10 at 13:46

If you can't get stratified seeds now you might as well wait until late summer/early fall and plant this year's crop. Maples are said to come up much more readily if planted will still green and soft rather than after the seeds become brown and hard. If you have access to sugar maple trees you can gather from yourself, watch for the fruits to have become fully developed, then gather and plant your own before they harden.

o
RE: Growing Sugar Maples

Thanks for the advice bboy. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to Sugar Maples. I might have to check the local parks, county forest or either check some public hunting ground close to my land.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here