Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do to save this maple?

Posted by lucretia1 7/8 PNW (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 14:44

I noticed some loose bark at the fork of my JM, and when I looked under it I found a big crack running down the trunk. If you look closely at lower left side of the wound in the second picture, it looks like the cambium is growing to try to cover things back up. (It's also growing on the other side, but it doesn't show in the photo.) I was thinking of getting a long bolt and drilling a hole/inserting the bolt in the trunk to keep it from splitting further. Does this sound reasonable? Is there anything else I can do to help the tree, or does it look like a goner?

Here's the tree:

And here's a closer look:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do to save this maple?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 1:11

Depends on what's wrong with it. Looks pretty bad, not sure it is going to pull through at this point. How much spring leaf out and new growth comes later will be a sign.

If it is sun scald wrapping the stem could prevent additional damage.

o

I'll give wrapping the truck a shot--at this point it couldn't hurt anything. Thanks!

o

This is a really poor tree, it should never have left the nursery as anything but compost or wood chips. The branch join is at a poor angle, probably has occluded bark and is very weak. You may be able to save it with cabling or bolting, but be prepared to loose it. I do see some healing where the bark is loose so it could have a slim chance, but it will always be a poor tree. When you replace it look for a quality tree with strong branch unions. As a side note, a lot of people over fertilize trees which causes them to grow too fast for the bark to grow properly. This makes them vulnerable to frost cracks and sun scold, especially true for thin bark trees like Japanese Maples.

Here is a link that might be useful: A bit about branch uniouns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here