Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do my grafts look?

Posted by EricMd01 KY 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 15:20

Hello everyone. I grafted these on jan 23. Looks like its leafing out. Is it possible for leaves to grow on the scion if it didnt take?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do my grafts look?

Another pic

o

Another

o

Another

o

Well yes,as I'm sure you've seen from unsuccessful cuttings,a scion can leaf out by itself,you can never be 100% sure of success until it's growing away nicely.However 3 weeks after grafting in the winter is the usual time they 'wake up'.Providing you cannot see any blackness at the base of the scion next to the graft,there's every chance they are a success.You'll have to now remove that tight wrapping from the scion(though keep the actual grafting area wrapped) and put a larger bag over the scion with enough room for the leaves to expand.I always use a bag straight away at grafting time,just wrapping the grafting area tightly.I always spray the scion and bag with a little fungicide too.Good luck and look forward to seeing the results.

This post was edited by houzi on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:36

o

Thank you houzi! Very useful response. I appreciate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here