Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bark trauma

Posted by thistle5 z7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 17:04

During the last bit of bad weather we had here (ice storm), my little 10'x 10' patio tent collapsed under the weight of the ice & hit my Shigitatsu Sawa, which is in a pot. It scraped about 2" on the trunk, is there anything I can do for this, or will it heal itself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bark trauma

It should heal itself, and I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of sealant on the cut. If the cut is fairly large it might be a good idea to put some fungicide on it, to prevent disease from entering the wound. If the tree is in good health, however, the trees natural defense mechanism should protect it.

o

Your maple should be fine - I'd just leave it be. Bark trauma is not all that uncommon with J. maples, at least in my area. Squirrels are very fond of the tender bark - whether for eating or for nest building I've never figured out - and are often the source of bark stripping in early spring. Sometimes these torn strips are quite lengthy, but I've never encountered a J. maple that wasn't able to heal itself and recover nicely. Now if they remove the bark from all the way around the tree, you've got a problem.

o

Thanks, I've been worried about it, but since the tree seems healthy, I wasn't going to do anything, unless it looked necessary. I feel horribly guilty, though, I kept thinking all night long that I needed to go out & get the snow/ice off the tent, but I waited too long...

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 23:05

"Bark trauma" sounds like a veterinary complaint. Keep tree growing happily and it will fairly soon replace the lost bark.

o

Paul James in Gardening by the Yard on HGTV had some serious damage on a JM. Here's what he did....

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV JM Repair

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 16:41

I don't know about the peat and plastic (link, above). For starters I wouldn't expect peat purchased nowadays to be sterile. Peat under clear plastic seems like a nice little environment for wood decay to get started.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here