Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
restorephoto

Acer trifolium's winter foliage

restorephoto
15 years ago

I've had a single A. trifolium in the yard for a few years. It's now about ten feet tall and has stayed fairly columnar.

What has surprised me is that the foliage hangs on so far into winter. And it looks pretty good. It's an orangish-tan color. The autumn color has been a little disappointingÂkinda washed out.

I like the fact that it holds its leaves. It has become a surprise addition to our street screening effort.

My question is this: If I were to buy a second A. trifolium to plant near this one for winter screening purposes, could I necessarily expect it to also hold its leaves well into winter? What have others experienced in this regard?

If I learn that holding leaves well into the winter isn't a typical characteristic of A. trifolium, what would be some good alternatives to consider?

The soil is well drained, but floods briefly during summer thunderstorms. It's a mostly shady spot with a little morning sun. However, a huge Silver Maple that provides much of the shade will be taken down sometime in the next 2-3 years.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!

Comments (4)