Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myersphcf

Della new JM offering

myersphcf
16 years ago

As many of you know della has a unique Jm business as a broker of Jm's... Her prices are very reasonable for the ages( 4+ years 3 gallon pots) and sizes she sells ...she ships in pots not bare or semi bare root.and shipping is reasonable.. She is in the very essense of the word a small businerss person who loves what she does and isn't gonna get rich on her mark ups. So it behooves me to post she has a list of cultivars she has had her distributor hold for her and will pick up shortly .She will only get those that she thinks are "della worthy" so what is listed is not written in stone if it doesn't pass the Della test she won't take it vis a vis you won't get it ... here is the link to her site with the list ..she will hold any you are interested in and send sizes and jpegs before you buy them ..( but if you are just fishing don't have her hold them let someone else have that opportunity that is really interested). She is one of the few etailers that will ship larger plants which for most northern areas is important since ebay babies are a risky proposition... from the below link for the complete list . oh BTW she is a really nice person and as honest as the day is long!!

I am posting this cause I don't consider her competition for other dealers as her business operation is unique and my relationship with her is purely one of friendship not a business one..

as you see she has many more unusual cultivars than are often offered especially in this size and price range.. David see below

Acer japonicum

1 green cascade

2 itaya

2 lovett

2 meigetsu

1 oregon fern

1 otake

1 vitafolium

Acer palmatum

1 amber ghost

2 ao shidare

2 ao shime no uchi

2 arakawa

1 asahi zuru

2 coonara pygmy

1 corallinum

1 dark straw

2 flavecens

1 eagles claw

2 elegans

1 fireball

1 beni ubi gohon

2 berrima bridge

2 grandmas ghost

2 green hornet

1 groundcover

2 japanese sunrise

1 julia d

2 flushing

2 germaunes gyration

2 goshiki kotohime

2 nishiki gawa

1 nishiki sho ( seems to be a version of Arakawa maybe older )

2 ojishi

2 omurayama

1 orange dream

2 orangeola

2 ornatum

2 pendulum julian

1 pine bark

1 pink lace

2 purple ghost

2 red baron

2 lion heart

1 mejishi ( Shishigashira)

1 mikawa yatsubusa

2 sharps pygmy

1 shojo shidare

2 watnog

2 wakehurst pink

2 yugure

2 red feathers

1 red filligree

2 roseum

2 will d

2 yubae

1 chantilly lace

Acer shirasawanum

2 palmatifoliun

1 red dawn

web site [HYPERLINK@nurserygirl1.tripod.com]

Email Her at conwayd@embarqmail.com

Comments (21)

• picea
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I will second was said about Della's plant quality and customer service. If you looking at getting japanese maples this spring and want something larger than your typical mail order plants check out what she has.

David

• mckenna
    16 years ago

Yup. Fantastic all the way around.

Bill

• myersphcf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I posted this at Daves Garden but forgot to here:

Below are ones FROM HER LIST I have either had experience with or that I own now that I love and or show potential but have not had long... there are several others I left off since my jury is out or am not in love with and a few I don't have . Her potential list is excellent and I don't have problem with any of them just thought to give my opinion on ones i think are winners by history or potential winners and cool that I personally have witnessed for a shorter period. ( BTW All her listed Japonican's are good hardy choices )...What works for me or I like is not necessarily good for you ...remembering that I do NOT live in a JM friendly place and in fact i do not have a JM friendly acreage David

A.j. green cascade great really cold hardy can take sun too really nice form!!

ao shime no uchi cold hardy ...takes sun

coonara pygmy somewhat cold hardy but a winner

flavecens no history nice green dissectum

eagles claw no history interesting green dissectum

elegans new no history but I really like it's look

fireball new no history but sows great potential witches broom seems to take sun well and swems hardy but I'd keep containerized

berrima bridge the best all around dissectum for sun cold and color

groundcover no history but looks like a winner rare

japanese sunrise NOT WINTER HARDY but the best of any of the red/orange/yellow bark cultivars takes sun well makes Sango kaku look like pig weed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

julia d no history but like will D seems really nice

germaunes gyration takes some some winter hardy nice

goshiki kotohime all around good hardy cultivar

ojishi inch worm slow growing but cool winter hardy

omurayama nice weeping upright

orange dream hardier than you would think and purdy

orangeola great form hardiness suspect ...keep containerized

pendulum julian most under appreciated older dissectum super winter hardy and takes sun seems to be a spreading type GREAT dissectum

pink lace not hardy but neat keep containerized

red baron better than Bloodgood Emperor 1 or fireglow ...but of same ilk super hardy and cool

lion heart no history but I love it so far ..keep containerised

mejishi ( Shishigashira) my favorite ...different hardy needs a bit of shade can't miss

mikawa yatsubusa great all around hardy

sharps pygmy really nice not real small super hardy takes some sun

shojo shidare neat blue/gtreen color disectum hardiness suspect keep in container

watnog no history best new dissectum IMHO somewhat upright I love this one

wakehurst no history pink very nice great look

yugure hardy takes some sun all around nice smaller tree underrater

red feathers REALLY hardy suprisingly ...slow grower but super lacy COOL takes sun too

red filligree no history grows really slow!!!!!!!! seems very nice

will d no history similar to julia D really nice looking buy one or the other they aren't much diddernt

yubae Only one person has seen variegation ( Vertrees) ...but supper hardy and takes sun nice smaller upright keeps red color well

chantilly lace I love this one seems hardy to a point ...takes sun

A.s palmatifoliun no history seems hardy and nice ( big tree)

A.s red dawn no history but seems to take sun and be hardy ...nice colors!!

• myersphcf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am posting to this again to move it up to top of thread for those that missed it...she already has alot of holds but plenty of nice cultivars left on the list ..and she is definitly going the end of this month SO if you are interested in anything on her list let her know pronto..she will hold it and if you like the jpeg of it it's yours if not you are not obligated ...such a deal huh!!!...If you are just fishing please don't have her hold stuff you really only interested in on a whim!!!... leave those unique and diverse cultivars she is offering for more serious folks In addition PLEASE don't nickle and dime her ...she is neither rich or in this to make a killing she truely loves this...her prices are fair her shipping is not jacked up..if you want to dicker try that at lowes...good luck with that ;>)
    ...How is it that what you would never do at lowes or home depot or walmart or a successful nursery you feel is ok to ask or demand, from someone who has little and can least afford giving special additional discounts or deals but we are all or at least mostly all guilty of it ( including ME) ..that is really sad don't ya think!!!! ;>) David

• ezochi
    16 years ago

She has the best trees for the price--absolutely! For us northern gardeners her trees are of nice size to get 'em started.

• myersphcf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a note to tell you all that Dellas trees have arrived ...some are already spoken for but she has a list on line with those that "may" still be available and photos of some of the avaiables on her site under "TREE PICTURES"... She was VERY happy with what she got in both size and fullness and from what I saw I agee. I will say her photographic abilities are somewhat lacking ;>000 and do not represent her abilities of picking JM's ;>)... One note I highly reccomend the Red Baron ( not "Baren" it can reproduce ;>) ) that is shown on the "picture" page. If you like bloodgood types it is a boffo tree VERY hardy holds color well grows fast late leafer .far superior to Bloodgood in every respect I have one about 15 ft from a grouping of three Bloodgoods ...I like da Baron much better.. can take sun or shade and the one she has is VERY nice!!! David

• averbisadverbera
    16 years ago

i think this outed not really a know it all should be prohibited from promotinf his friend's busines in the forum. I will email a moderator. his promotion is shameless and he knows nothing. See the thread where I outed him as a complete tool.

• myersphcf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many biz are promoted in this forum folks are always asking for places to buy...most are not small time struggling folks who can barely make ends meet and need extra help. No one is saying you have to buy from her or anyone else. Links to other sellers are posted all the time ...Yes she is a friend ...and no I have NEVER met her nor do I profit from any of her sales... she is not a Forest farm or World Plants ...just a one woman show who loves JM's and treats folks as people not just customers ...so I think it is a worthy to help her out and give folks a low cost place to buy older well established JM's just as others have done raving about other various sellers.The differnce is she is an individual in a small business ...not a brick and mortor big nursery which employes individuals.
    What is truly shameless is folks like you trolling and flaming that give these forums a bad name...you didn't out me you outed yourself. Feel free to narc on me all you want. I am not the one calling folks names and slamming them which IS against the rules ..of every forum. Have a nice day David

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

I agree with averbisadverbera. Hawking someones commercial offering is inappropriate, particularly offensive is posting each plant as if it were a ecommerce site -- tiresome and wrong.

So is the compulsive and doctrinaire style of posting which thwarts the collaborative learning goals of an online forum.

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

Averb,

Where is the "the thread where I outed him as a complete tool.?"

He didn't need any help but i would like to read.

• myersphcf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haver never said I have all the answers or tried to stifle discussions...just given my prespective ...you two have by makeing nasty slamming statements towards me .. I don't do this for my ego I try to impart what little I know and have found out for thiose that live north or in borderline areas . If you two feel you can handle that from your zones ...go for it ... I do not have the time or energy to mess with folks that have taken an attitude and really don't know the facts iof either my posts or this thread. Which BTW neither of you were forced to read. Helping out a stuggling VERY small entepenuer is not shameless ...but I will never convince either of you of that.I do not enjoy unpleasant situations that are brought on by folks who obviously have issues..So I am out of here ...The folks visiting this forum for info and advice or places to purchase will have to rely on you two ...and since you know everything there is to know on JM 's I am sure they will be in good hands ..As I said I don't need this and have much better things to do with my spare time than argue with folks with "issues"...David

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

Dang David,

You're as bitter as a green spring berry ;(

• appalotranch
    16 years ago

I mostly lurk; and have been reading this forum for many years, and today I am coming out of lurkdom to add my two cents to this thread.

Personally, I only buy maples from Della, bought approx. 30 trees from her, over the years, and I have always been extremely pleased with the quality of her trees, size, packaging, and delivery: There is nothing wrong I can say about Della's trees.

I think it was ok for David to inform the members, of this forum, about Della's impending spring shipment as this is where I learned when she was going to pick them up, and the list of possible available maples......and I bought one from the list: Thank you David. Ebay sellers are talked about, other larger nurseries are discussed so why is it wrong for David to inform everyone where they can buy NICE maples at a good price? He has no buisness alliance with her, nor do I, other than collectors happy with their purchase and wanting to spread the word.

Back into lurkdom. -Ivy

• herman_neutics
    16 years ago

Ivy

I have no beef with speaking out about a vendor with great stuff. Or letting others know when you feel screwed.

Using the forum an an advertising firm is inappropriate.

Also there was more than one issue on the table.

• appalotranch
    16 years ago

Herman,
    I had to go back and re-read the thread; yes maybe David went a little over board, and I see there are other underlying issues. I had thought you, and Averb, came down a little hard on him. Enough said. -Ivy

• krautz33
    15 years ago

I am a lurker of all forums. I sit back and like to read what is being said. Dave thank you for turning me on to Della's website. I am a huge collector of Japanese Maples, and I was able to find some new ones for my collection through Della.

Thanks
    krautz

• wishiebigcove
    15 years ago

I've been buying JM's from Della before she moved to NC and was living in Virginia. Everything David wrote concerning her small business, love for JMs, and customer relations are very true. In fact, Della going the extra mile for her customers; and I personally have take countless time from her schedule when she would search for answers about some of her JM. I do not think the small tid-bit of comments David and others posted about Della would hurt anyone. I realize this forum is not the place for personal advertising, however I found those posts to be more informative than a marketing tool or advertisement for Della. She is only a one person business trying to keep food on the table doing what she loves to do, sell JMs. It's a sad day indeed when jealously or hard-core business principles keeps a fellow gardener aloof from assisting another gardener or his fellow man.

• xman
    15 years ago

I have had the opportunity of buying a few trees from Della over the years myself, and can vouch for all the things that is said about her and her passion for maples.

I came to know of Della after a message similar to what David had posted, in this forum or some other forum, and I am glad I got to know her. Like David, I have not met her nor do I get a kick back, but I try to push her name as much as I can to people who want a decent deal and with Della you can bet on it. I cannot say the same of the other maple business that sell on ebay and online.

What makes Della different is her passion for maples, without which maples are just trees (I had a friend look at my trees and ask if I was crazy collecting these "stupid" trees).
    I actually like the way David expresses his opinion, at least it keeps the forum alive and ticking. The last time I saw the word "outed" thrown about was in the "Japanese garden" forum before it sunk.

xman

• ezochi
    15 years ago

You might have heard the sad news but Della is going out of business. However, she is offering her trees right now for sale at her site at a discount. You might want to check it out.

http://nurserygirl1.tripod.com/

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

What happened??

• ezochi
    15 years ago

My understanding is that this was a hobby for her that she did not for the income but for pleasure, but her full time job is making this more difficult.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County