Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunset maple?

Posted by mrklehm Chicago area 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 19:04

I am interested in planting a couple maples in my back yard that do not grow very large, and most importantly, have outstanding red/orange fall colors. I have read about the sunset maple, but it is suppost to grow to 60 feet and have large surface roots. Do you maple tree experts have any other maple variety suggestions? Thank you for your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunset maple?

Consider Sun Valley red maple, which gets to about 35', and is a male plant, so is seedless.

o

Dear srgbv - Thank you for the recommendations - these look very good. Now if I could just find a few places that sell them. So far I just found one on the internet. Regards.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 11:31

Beware of commercial (and other) descriptions depicting red maple cultivars (and cultivars of other large-growing species) growing only 35 ft. tall. Such figures will not be based on fully developed specimens.

If you do not want the shade and roots of a large maple avoid red maple, sugar maple, Norway maple, silver maple, Freeman maple (some cultivars of this are sold as red maples by mistake), sycamore maple (some slow-growing, colored foliage forms of this last one are currently fairly prevalent in nurseries carrying such items - 'Esk Sunset' (syn. 'Eskimo Sunset') for instance...

o

How about a "Fire Dragon Shantung Maple". Small vigorous tree. This is a new tree, and the owner is currently willing to ship them. Should be good for zone 5. Max to about 35' and nice fall color even in Texas.

http://www.metromaples.com/generic0.html

o

That 'Fire Dragon' is perfect for the midwest/chicago.

I ordered one.

Those interested in grafting it, it grafts of course to Acer truncatum but also to: Acer pictum and Acer platanoides. Who would have guessed Norway Maple. Got it right from the owner.

Dax

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 16:39

>Who would have guessed Norway Maple<

Botanically Acer truncatum belongs to Section Platanoidea, as do AA. campestre, cappadocicum, longipes, miyabei, pictum, platanoides and tenellum.

o

RE: Small vigorous tree. This is a new tree, and the owner is currently willing to ship them. Should be good for zone 5. Max to about 35' and nice fall color even in Texas.

Might be too early to call it a small vigorous tree and predict its ultimate height. Couldnt have been around too long....

o

RE: Small vigorous tree. This is a new tree, and the owner is currently willing to ship them. Should be good for zone 5. Max to about 35' and nice fall color even in Texas.

RE:Might be too early to call it a small vigorous tree and predict its ultimate height. Couldnt have been around too long....

True there is no CERTAINTY, however it grows/behaves like the unpatented wild type parent, therefore it is very reasonable to believe that it will end up any different. It's a fall color variant, producing more anthocyanin AFTER growth has stopped. Not likely to have allot of impact on growth. JMHO

o

Cool Ron. Thanks.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here