Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treebob

Shantung in Trouble

treebob
11 years ago

Hi, this is my 2nd post. Since this was posted in what seems to be a dead thread, please excuse my repost as a new topic. I love my trees and this one may be in trouble. My Shantung Maple is not growing since the North Dallas drought the summer before last (summer of 2011). The tree was bought from a nursery in Gunter about 4 years ago and it was growing the first 2 to 3 years. It is about 12' high with the base maybe 6 or 7 inches in diameter. The tree is planted in heavy clay. There is a 10' red tip photina about 12 to 15 feet away. It is planted on the S side (backyard) side of the house bounded by the service alley (10' away), driveway (10') and the yard has little grass near the tree. Some expert guy told me his survived in sand with no irrigation during the drought so I figured I over-watered. Since then I removed the mulch and the soil is bare within the drip line. I'd guess there are 20 to 30 branches (highests branches) with the top 6 inches having no leaves since the drought, only leaf sprouts (or whatever they are called). I will examine more closely and maybe post a photo. Any help is welcome and sorry for such a long post. This uploaded pic is from August during the drought. I have scores of branches with 6 or more inches at the top having no growth, just what looks like bud about to start... but they never do it seems.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio