Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Erratic Growth--Tatarian Maple

Posted by Bob317 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 1:02

In July 2011 I planted a 7 gallon 'Hot Wings' Tatarian Maple. The leaves had considerable scorching of the margins due to the 30 mile trip from the nursery to my house. The first year there was no new growth, nor was there any die back.

The second summer there was erratic growth. About 3 branches would grow very rapidly for a few weeks. Then the terminal leaves on those branches would shrivel up and die, and a few other branches would start a rapid growth cycle that would end the same way. Finally when one branch had grown so much that it was about to over take the central leader I pinched off the terminal bud on that branch. I haven't applied fertilizer anywhere near the tree.

Will the central leader and the side branches that lost their terminal buds last year develop new ones? Any Ideas on what kind of growth pattern I can expect this year? Should I apply a little nitrogen fertilizer this spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Erratic Growth--Tatarian Maple

maybe a slow release fertilizer if ant at all...that maple can be bushy or a tree....sometimes we need to resist the temptation to overdue our "care" or trees....i'd go back to the basics....prune away dead branches first, the the inner branches that crowd the desired form...let nature do the rest!

o

I have a hot wings I planted 2011. Last year I also had some crazy growth! Some branches grew straight up, others just funky! I think it is the natural growth pattern. What color are your fall leaves? Mine have been yellow the the last 2 years. The first fall was the only year it had red fall foliage.

o

said:
"I have a hot wings I planted 2011. Last year I also had some crazy growth! Some branches grew straight up, others just funky! I think it is the natural growth pattern. What color are your fall leaves? Mine have been yellow the the last 2 years. The first fall was the only year it had red fall foliage."

Sorry about the delay. I have been wrapped up with tax and investment issues for a few weeks. My Hot Wings maple has had dull purple leaves during the last two fall seasons. I hope it becomes more colorful after it is better established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here