Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commemoration Maple...

Posted by jrw8250 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 1:21

Hi everyone, I am new here and I am looking for some information/thoughts on a 'Commemoration' Sugar Maple. Do any of you have any experience with this cultivar? I really like the look of the Sugar Maple, and would like to plant this near the street in a 6' x 12' grassy area. I recently removed a dying Norway Maple, which had some type of tar spot. The new tree will not be in a spot that will create much shade, but more of a specimen. The new tree will have full sun. Please give me any info you might have.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commemoration Maple...

We have one. Love the DARK DENSE green of the leaves in summer. Leaves aren't as large as some cultivars, but that does not matter to me. LOVE the consistent orange fall color, that we have gotten once it had been in the ground a couple years. Color can be long lasting just as has been reported. Growth has been reasonable, even though it's not on the best site. Our Fall Fiesta has grown faster and calipered. However our Commemoration is a broader more spreading shape at this point, versus the upright oval of the Fiesta. Both have dealt well with two summers from hell (sorry but far in excess of what Ohio had to deal with those years) of 2011 and 2012, though I kept them watered. Both are in full sun. If I had to choose between the two, I very slighting prefer the Commemoration over the Fiesta due to shape of the tree, and fall color, longer lasting fall color.

As far as using it as a street tree, road de-icing salt is a big concern with all Sugar Maples planted near a road. Also soil compaction and/or lack of drainage can also preclude their use near a road.

Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here