Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Struggling Acer shirasawanum aureum

Posted by skeets z8 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 2:07

The last post reminds me ... I have a question about my Full Moon maple, Acer shirasawanum aureum, that I planted about 4 years ago. It seems to be struggling.

I know they are slow growing, but it's lost quite a few of it's branches over the past years and it hasn't gotten much taller. It's in a shady well drained area, and other plants are thriving nearby -- really what I think the problem is that I planted it too deep, maybe about 4 inches or so (it was one of the first things I planted in my garden, and well, I have since learned not to do this!)

Anyway, the other thing I can think of is verticillium wilt, which I hope to God it's not. I have a few other Japanese Maples nearby (planted at the correct depth!) and I'd hate to lose them.

Here's my question: do you think it would hurt to either:

1. dig it up and replant so it's at the level it should be (I've already dug down to where the trunk starts to flare, but it could be raised a little) or

2. dig it up and put it a pot (I'm kind of favoring this option since the tree is so small I'd like it closer to the house, and if it does have the vert. wilt maybe I can save my other trees). or

3. Leave it alone.

Thanks for any advice you more experienced gardeners can offer me!

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Struggling Acer shirasawanum aureum

1 and 2 does not hurt and 3 propably eventually will.

1. Now it is spring and you may do almost anything rootswise with deciduous. If you loose a lot of roots, which is unlikely, or gut lot of roots, 2. it is a good practice to remove some buds or cut unnecessary branches.

Also you can achieve one year growth of height immediately planting correltly that 4 inches higher ;)

o

Thanks for the reply, esamart!

I will probably dig it up and either raise the rootball and re-plant, or I may just move it into a pot. I guess I need to try something - I mean it still leafs out and looks pretty good, but it's not thriving. I know this will stress it out but I think I need to take the chance.

If anyone else has any other comments or words of encouragement, feel free to chime in!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 19:12

>it is a good practice to remove some buds or cut unnecessary branches<

Growth of new roots in spring prompted by hormones coming from buds. Growth of new roots fueled by energy stored in branches. Don't cut back the top to make it 'balance' lost roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here