Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just how breakable are Freeman Maples?

Posted by tonypisa 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 5:41

I have read a number of posts about freeman maples having poor wind resistance. I am looking for a shade tree for our hillside garden, where the winds occasionally come whipping through the valley at up to 40 mph. I have been looking at 'straight' Acer rubrums, but a nearby nursery is offering me a Freeman "autumn blaze' at a better price. Will a Freeman take these winds? Will a Red Maple do any better? Any suggested alternatives for a good-sized shade tree with nice fall color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just how breakable are Freeman Maples?

Freeman maples are not the strongest trees you can get, but I don't think you should worry about them breaking in 40 mph winds. Choose the tree you want, whether a Freeman maple of something else, and as it grows prune it to ensure good branching structure--a good central trunk going up through the crown of the tree and no narrow crotch large branches, etc.

--Spruce

o

Thank you spruceman. Actually, I think I underestimated the wind gusts here. I haven't been living here long and have only seen the strong winds a couple of times (the first time they tore the roof off our porch!). I asked some of the locals and they say it's more like 60 mph. Hardly Katrina, but enough to split a big branch off an old Mimosa.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 07 at 13:45

Like Callery pears, Norway maples, hybrid planes and so on Freeman maples are used in quantity in locations like streets and malls (where adapted) so you might want something else just for the sake of intellectual interest. They are also large-growing, over 60 ft. high. Most selections seem to be chosen partly for having slender growth habits, if you try to prevent narrow crotches there won't be much tree left.

Wholesale nurseries describe specific cultivars as having strong crotches, these probably vary in this respect. More recent introductions may tend to be more durable, although this is not necessarily the case. They are all certainly half breakage-prone silver maple genetically, if correctly assigned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here