Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can JM take sun in Bay Area California?

Posted by zadal (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 6:49

I have only 'afternoon-sun' spot left on my yard and I wanted to plant a Green Japanese Maple ( with green bark )

I am in Sunnyvale (it is close to the Bay, so not as intense heat as inland ) California. With adequate watering, will the tree survive the summer here?

THanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can JM take sun in Bay Area California?

I'm in Los Altos. I have one "basic" japanese maple (not a specific cultivar / green leaves, green bark) planted by the deck. I would say it gets sun from morning til late afternoon when the sun drops behind our house. It is 10 feet tall, maybe 6 feet around. The leaves will burn and crinkle in an extended heat wave, such as the one we had a few years back. I think it was a week or 10 days of 100 degree temps, but that kind of heat is fairly unusual for this area. Thank goodness.
I also have a red dissectum "garnet" planted in some pretty good sun. Again, in a normal summer, it does fine.
I have a new area where I am planting some of my maples. It is more shady, protected by an oak tree canopy.
Bottom line: what do you have to lose? I would go for it. If the tree becomes established and grows well, it will likely survive any heat waves. And look around your neighborhood. You will see some large japanese maples planted in full sun in this area. They seem to do well.

o
RE: Can JM take sun in Bay Area California?

They grow all over coastal Orange County, which should present a similar climatic condition. FWIW, Mountain Maples is an excellent California grower and source for JM's and they are located in Mendocino County. They also have an extremely informative websit that lists suitable cultivars of Japanese maples for a variety of specialized conditions, including the heat and dryness of the west. Worth checking out to see which cultivars they recommend for your situation. Or you could contact them directly.

Here is a link that might be useful: MM - Japanese maples for specialized conditions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here