Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Leafing out and dealing with Ys!

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I would have never expected these plants to already be leafing out given the temps at the source and receiving them first week of March. I guess I have to keep them in the basement during freezing temps for the rest of the month. Then they can move out to the garage until the end of April.

So I have these two maples with the unattractive Y. Did I just not get lucky or is this the way it typically is with these cultivars and age of plant?

I'm debating whether I should cut back both Ys half way back. My intent is to get a bushy plant vs. a tree.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Acer campestre 'Carnival'

{{gwi:1034507}}

Acer buergerianum 'Miyasama yatsubusa'

{{gwi:1034508}}

Comments (9)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Remove the slingshot fork on the right entirely. Sever the left leader above where the 3 branches emerge, and remove the 2 inward-facing branches.

The remaining small branch (on left) is your new leader. It doesn't need to be in a straight line with the new trunk, but it needs to be sort of following a nice line. If it's not, leave the main stem long enough to tie the new leader to it - as sort of a built-in stake. Don't allow any buds to form on the old stub, and remove it when the new leader is set in place.

The pruning will cause a LOT of back budding, so rub off all buds in places you don't want branches to grow.

Wherever you have a union where there are 3 branches originating from the same place - remove one of them. Let your tree grow wild (unpruned) for the entire year & come back next year.

If you want to repot, which includes bare-rooting and root pruning, do it this weekend or your window will have passed. It's already late for that plant. You can pot up any time, but if you pot up, I'd be planning a full repot for next spring in late Feb if you employ the same over-wintering strategy.

{{gwi:3257}}

Al

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Al, thanks for the info! Are you saying to do this pruning now or...

I'm assuming your advice applies to both trees? Its interesting that both trees have the exact same set of branches.

I plan to plant them in the landscape late April. They will stay outside. I'm zone pushing but they have little micro climates.

• botann
    12 years ago

I would follow Al's advice about the Wye to a Tee, and I'd do it now to both if you want them to be a bush.
    If you want them to be a bushy tree, I would just prune off the right branch on both so as to get the trunk up in the air more.
    Mike

12 years ago

Yes, do the pruning now, and repot now, too - if that was on your 'to do' list. By next week, too much of the spring flush will have been put on, and repotting could cause problems. Your trees need good light & would really appreciate some air movement now, too.

Al

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate the help gents. I'll post pics after they finishing flushing.

They look pretty jacked after the pruning job.

12 years ago

Don't worry. They won't even miss the mass you removed - especially if you didn't prune the roots.

Al

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's what happens when you don't deal with a Y. An ice storm and heavy snow took this Japanese Maple out along with about 10 others in my garden. Rhododendrons and other trees suffered also. The Rhododendron pictured here is called 'Olympic Lady'.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1035517}}

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Mike, is that black spot at the top of the broken wound decay preceding the break?

John

• botann
    12 years ago

I checked it today. It's just bark, no decay.
    Mike