Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf japanese maple not growing tall

Posted by lakesidenovice ma (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 10:05

I have had my lace dwarf japanense maple for approx. 10 years. It is growing dense and spreading out but it is still less than 3 ft tall. It was badly trimmed by a landscaper 4 years ago. (He tried to make it round like a bush) It has recovered from that and continues to grow more dense and out. Many of the lower branches go out across the garden. Any idea what I should do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf japanese maple not growing tall

A lot will depend on exactly which cultivar you have, but most weeping laceleaf maples will not grow upward without help. If they are stake trained when young, that will encourage their natural tendency to weep or cascade to become more upright. After 10 years, I'm not sure how much luck you will have attempting this training now.

A good many laceleaf cultivars are decribed as having a mushroom or umbrella shaped habit - they stay quite short if left to their own devices but can get very wide.

o

You can select a flexible limb and stake that upright. After a while, the new growth from it will weep. Then, take another flexible branch from it and stake it higher. It will take many years, but you should get it to grow taller.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 3:24

If a suitable centrally located branch is selected and trained vertically up a secure stake (inserted without smashing through/barking any major roots) much greater height can be rapidly developed. If each flush of growth for the one stem is tied in then every time there is a flush the specimen will then be that much taller.

I've got an unstaked one planted in the 1960's that may just recently have gotten above waist height. New branches come out and then lay down on top of the others. Increase in height is accomplished by the branches building up gradually in layers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here