Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acer griseum, Paperback Maple

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 10:35

My local good nursery has Acer griseum, but they are very thin around 7 foot high sticks with minimal branching. Like reddish toothpicks for $79.

They have a few much more developed trees for a higher price in huge very heavy pots (would need a huge hole!), but I would rather have a younger tree anyway. I'm just having trouble imagining how these delicate long toothpicks turn into thicker trunked, even multitrunked broad trees not much taller. Is this normal to start out with a thin 7 foot trunk like this with Acer griseum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acer griseum, Paperback Maple

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 13:55

Not a rare item. Keep looking.

o

So I assume that such leggy/thin caliper Paperback Maples are not normal, or at least harder to train into a nice trunk and branching.

o

From what I've heard, Acer griseum is almost always grown from seed. This would imply that there are significant variations in shape and size with these trees. However, I would guess that the tall skinny look is a result of over fertilization and/or growing the trees too close together at a young age.

I would personally keep looking because although the trees might fill out, I think you should be able to find a better deal than that.

o

Be prepared to pay for it whatever size. I believe that my A. griseum is the most expensive tree that I have ever bought.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 21:11

For this time of year that is likely a fair retail price. What you could do is wait until the end of the season and see if it goes on sale. Acer Griseum is an ugly duckling at that age and many people don't know what it is or it true potential so it may go unsold. I picked up a similar shaped BB for $10 that was ragged but definately alive. David

o

My little potted griseums are several years old and only about 4 feet tall... very straight and skinny... and not heavily fertilized at all. Prob not enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here