Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Weeping lace leaf maples

Posted by ricksample 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:19

What would you consider some of the best in terms of looks and able to handle full sun in zone 5/6 Northeast Ohio? I was leaning towards Acer palmatum 'Viridis' or 'Waterfall'.

I found out the hard way a couple years ago that a lot of the generic Japanese maples fry in full sun. I know these maples like to grow under taller trees, but I'm wondering if some of the green ones are able to handle full sun. I have some that seem to do fine in full sun, they do fry a little come the middle of August, but otherwise ok. I need a replacement for Acer palmatum 'Autumn Moon'. Over the past 2 years it has fried to a krisp... but still puts out nice growth and looks good until July. I don't have any shade so I can't really transplant it anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Weeping lace leaf maples

There are a number of cultivars of Japaqnese maples that are recognized to do well in full sun providing they don't experience extreme heat or drought at the same time. True 'generic' Japanese maples - the straight species Acer palmatum - is one such selection. Green leaves but not weeping and not heavily dissected or laceleaf. 'Waterfall' is on the list. I would include 'Viridis' as well - it is not a recognized name but is applied generally to any not otherwise named green laceleaf.

'Autumn Moon' is not a true Japanese maple (Acer shirasawanum) and its very light, nearly yellow foliage does not tolerate full sun well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun tolerant Japanese maples

o

Autumn Moon needs shade. I am in zone 6 and my autumn moon maple is in 80% shade.

o

How about Acer japonicum 'Green cascade' - One of my favorites with AWESOME fall color.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Green leaf Japanese maple

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here