Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Requesting planting advice for Acer ginnala (amur maple)

Posted by kiddo_1 NE OH 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 11:45

Hello. I've not posted on this particular GW forum before but just know you will have good advice for me! :-D

Today I stumbled upon a nice deal on some 12" Amur Maples in a local discount store. They are in 4x4" cartons (about 10" deep). Don't know if they are grown from seeds or are rooted cuttings - all the text is in Spanish! Anyway, they are packed 2 to a carton and I bought 5 cartons.

In my NE Ohio zone 5, I should be able to plant them right into the ground now? Or should I put them into 2-gal pots and let them get more roots (because they sure don't have many at this point).

Also, when I do plant or pot them, should I put 1 to a planting, or should I put 2 so I can get more stems.

I've wanted amur maples for many years, but could never afford them before and this seems like a perfect opportunity to create a large shady area in a relatively short time. (That is assuming, like most maples, these will grow quickly).

I appreciate any advice and help. Thanks very much! :-D
Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Requesting planting advice for Acer ginnala (amur maple)

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 21:36

Ordinarily getting back into the ground would be a better situation for them. A very hardy tree/shrub, cold probably not a problem for them now even there. And plants in pots are more vulnerable to cold than those in the ground.

This is an early-leafing tree, you should see some green fairly soon. Some upright forms, possible hybrids with Tatarian maple are offered by a few wholesale nurseries. You might get an upright habit if you have one of these types, otherwise allow for low, quite wide-spreading crowns of long, straight branches.

All will branch and bulk up with age, making planting two together probably unnecessary - and might produce a bothersome clutter later.

o
RE: Requesting planting advice for Acer ginnala (amur maple)

Thank you, bboy. I'll plant them separately. I certainly don't want to create any clutter. :-D
Kris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here