Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tank1964

Scion wood and grafting for JM

tank1964
14 years ago

Hi All!

Where is the best place for me to get ahold of Japanese Maple scion wood for grafting? Also, for those of you experienced in grafting, do I need to take a class, or is it doable to learn this from the printed material I have gathered?

Are any of you living in or near the Los Angeles area (I live in La Verne and am willing to drive far and wide to learn), and would be willing to have a free assistant you could teach? I am absolutely crazy about these most beautiful of trees.

Hope to hear from you!

Frank G

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Most hobbiests get it from their own stock or from cuttings they get from local growers. But you can order it online. I've attached a link to a relatively local (Temecula) grower but there are other sources online if you search.

With a little trial and error, maple grafting is quite doable for the average Joe/Josephine but the same link offers a grafting DVD video that might explain/illustrate it better if you've never grafted before.

Do you have rootstock available?

Here is a link that might be useful: somewhat local source

• kaitain4
    14 years ago

Here's a couple of links to threads where I chronicled my first and second year of grafting. How-to slide show, and there is no charge. :)

First Year - On the second page is a link to the grafting slide show:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48128

Second Year (this year):

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60036

• tank1964
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both so much for your reponses. I do quite a bit with orchids, and love the maples even more. I just planted six different varieties in front of my newly purchased home and am eagerly awaiting spring to see my leaves poppin!

I am chilling some seeds in fridge now, and will eventually use them as root stock. I know it is too late to graft this year but would love to next year. Where is a good place to get some good rootstock? Does the Temecula place sell it?

Thanks!

• kaitain4
    14 years ago

Pacific Coast Maples (GardenGal's link above)sells rootstock in quantities of 25. I get mine from Heritage Seedlings in lots of 100. I have them delivered in October or early November (they come as bare root "plugs") and put them in 4" pots. I think 1/4" caliper works the best. Order early - they can run out.