Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maples and Spokane WA (z-5)

Posted by slugugh z8 WA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 12:36

We are about to move from Seattle to Spokane...I have 23 Japanese Maples, of which I will only take 12. (The other 12 are planted in the ground, and I will leave them with the new owners of my garden)...

Can other Spokane gardeners tell me how JM do in Spokane? If they will not do well, I will give them away.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maples and Spokane WA (z-5)

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 16:37

Heat, spring frosts and alkaline soils or irrigation water could all be problems. A heavily irrigated, humid yard would get better results than one that is not, you see marked differences in summer condition of Japanese maples due to watering practices even here on this side of the Cascades.

When I was at Washington State University in Pullman, south of Spokane the only Cornus florida - another rainy summer climate tree - I saw was in a planter surrounded by water and walls.

o

Thanks for your response bboy!

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 10:40

My mother grew a few Japanese Maples in Millwood, just east of Spokane. They grew alright, but not as nice as they would have here.
Acid fertilizer and rainwater might improve their growing a bit. Prune for heavy ice and snowloads. Cold might be an issue with some, so a protected spot might be preferred.

o

> Heat, spring frosts and alkaline soils or irrigation water could all be problems. <

In Central Texas we experience 3 of the 4 (I'll let you guess ;-) , and prob to greater extremes than Spokane. With care most JM cultivars survive, granted most don't thrive like they would in Seattle.

Can't imagine giving up on JMs, though. :-)

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 11:23

Sunset Western Garden Book (Sunset Publishing, 2001), which has Japanese maple zoned for the area including Spokane, provides this discussion:

"Grafted garden varieties are popular, but common seedlings have uncommon grace and usefulness; they are more rugged, faster growing, more drought tolerant, and they stand more sun and wind than named forms do. Japanese maples thrive everywhere in the Northwest, where they make good small street trees. They can be grown with success in California if given shelter from hot, dry or constant winds. Filtered shade is best, but full sun can be satisfactory. In California, consider the local soil and water; wherever azaleas are difficult to grow and suffer from salt buildup in the soil, Japanese maples will show burn on leaf edges. Give same watering treatment as azaleas--flood occasionally to leach out salts."

o

I gave my aunt a seedling of 'Sango Kaku' the red twigged JM.
She lives in Spangle just south of Spokane. I worried about winter-kill as this area may experience strong wind and subzero temperatures.
The first year it lost significant wood but it came back strong and is now doing well. I would recommend mulch and perhaps a burlap wrap for the first winter. Planting near mature trees to shelter may help as well. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here