Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heimert

A.p. Orangeola with split-off branch

heimert
14 years ago

I'm not alone in having a snow damaged maple.

How best to proceed?

The branch split off fully and I've removed it. You can see what's left.

One option is to give up entirely on this tree (we planted just last fall) and start over.

The other is to let it keep going and hope the wound heals, and it puts out branches to balance out in coming years.

So, go with option 1?

If option 2, is there anything I can do to reduce the chances of disease getting into that split/wound? I assume there's nothing I can do except let nature take its course in terms of hoping branches will go in the "right" direction for balance.

Comments (5)

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

I don't believe you can repair this maple. What I have done in the past is cut everything off immediately below the wound. I have a Bloodgood I did this to and it regrew and looks nice now. You may try this. It will require some pruning over the years. Good luck.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

That IS pretty significant damage, but I've seen JM's survive with worse :-) The bigger question is, should it survive, what is it going to look like? IMO, this tree will never regain a very appealing aspect and in such a prominent and conspicuous position in your garden, I'd seriously think about replacing it. I might not toss it out altogther but just relocate to less visible place and see how it goes.

I'd not recommend cutting it off below the wound. This is essentially the the equivalent of topping the tree. It removes the apical meristem and so the tree will never get significantly taller (not necessarily an issue with such a pendulous selection), can stimulate a lot of weird growth and exposes the tree to even greater disease vulnerability. I've seen this attempted on a variety of JM's and the result is not very pleasing.

• heimert
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardengal--that is one of my concerns as well--it might never look good. And yes, we did select the location for a "show" piece. I may take this approach, perhaps putting it into a container for now, see how it does, and then eventually put it back in the ground if it does well.

Or is the only decent option put it in the ground somewhere else?

• sierradayhiker1
    14 years ago

now that is real sad ,I think you should just come on out to Ca.and be done with all that snow!

• drewguy
    14 years ago

But I like the snow . . . just not snapping my j.m.'s My mother-in-law did much worse. She had a 15 y.o. tree (similar habit) break all three main limbs.

Anyway, this is leafing out just fine now. One of the small branches just above the split is headed in the right direction. This may always be weak, but it will probably make it fine and ultimately be good looking. we shall see.