Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glowing Embers branching

Posted by jim_on_lookout_mtn 7A,LookoutMtnAL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 14:10

This maple was purchased as Glowing Embers....the aggressive branching below the canopy started once the maple was in the ground. Should they be trimmed off? I am concerned they will impact the shape......or are there other concerns? thnx, Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Embers image

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glowing Embers branching

I would personally trim most of them off completely, but you could trim some and leave some. However, you may be too late to prune it if the sap is running...and it is here in SC.

o

I agree with Matt in in entirety ...David

o

An earlier post indicated bleeding was not a problem......what is the concern? thnx for your responses. Jim

o

IMHO you can prune anytime ( if necessary like storm damge etc) but it is always best to NOT do so when the sap is running...the life blood of the tree. A perfectly healthy tree will be likely ok but not so if any energy needed for healing a sick or young tree etc will thus it be hurt by your trimming . also you always have a chance disease will enter thru the cuts the more cuts the more entrance points ... So best time all around is fall after leaf fall when dormant sap will not be running and many fungus diseases will not be around...otherwise it least wait til summer ...I would agree with the majority here this is not a good time to be futzing with yiour tree ( in your zone) UNLESS it is absolutly necessary and as I see it although your tree is "prickly" with needless braches it is an aesthetic matter not an emergency. David

o

Yes I suppose in most cases it is not too damaging to prune when they bleed...but they do bleed alot and we are talking basically syrup. That's alot of lost energy that could be used for growth and general health.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here