Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help needed with Japanese Maple Seedlings

Posted by TheMidnightGarden none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:53

Okay, while going around on halloween 2012, I can across some Japanese Red Maple tress, and brought some seeds home. I googled it, and realised that the seeds were taken too early. They were not easy to take off the tree, and had not started to turn brown.

I tried soaking them for 24 hours like the guide said, and none of them sank.

So I threw them all in a pot, and left them there through the rain, the hard freeze, etc. Well, about 2 weeks ago, they sprouted!

I have like 12 of them SO FAR in a 1 gal nursery pot. I had about 30 seeds total that I tossed in there.

They are very crowded in there.

So what I want to know, is when should I transplant them?

What is the best way to transplant them, to have the least amount of damage?

(I know from transplanting seedlings from my boss' tree, that the seedlings have a very low success rate)

*Yes, I also know that the seeds will not be true to the parent tree, I dont care, I just thought it would be neat to try and grow them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help needed with Japanese Maple Seedlings

I would do it when they have two or three leaves or are a couple of inches tall. I'd very carefully separate them, leaving as much soil as possible around each one and gently move them into separate pots that you can move out of a heavy rain or cover if it freezes.

Here's the soil recipe that I used:
• One part course sand
• Four parts 1/4" pine bark
• One part leaf mold or compost that doesn't contain animal waste

This post was edited by fogbelt_steve on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 3:28

o

Thank you so much! I will look up where I could get everything for that soil, thank you for sharing :)

How should I get them out of the pot when it is time?
My boss has a Japanese Green Maple, that has hundreds of little "babies". We just very gently pull them up by their stems.... Should I do that with these, or a different way?

Any special planting techniques to planting them? I want to save as many as possible

o

My 2¢ ...

Take an old knife and run it around the inside of the pot to loosen the dirt from the sides of the pot. Then carefully push on the bottom of the pot to push the whole works out. You might need to turn it upside down and let gravity work for you. You can then use the knife to separate each seedling as carefully as you can. It might help to work on a table while sitting in a chair. Have your new pots ready with planting mix, make a depression in the mix with your fingers, place the plant in the hole and push the dirt in around it. After watering, it might be a good idea to keep them out of hot sun or total shade until you can see that they're growing OK.

o

I followed the instruction I found online and sowed it about 2 months ago but it is not yet sprouted. I did not do hard freeze, after I read the posts here I put it in the freezer. I use a very small container.

Caelian

o

"pull them up by their stems"

I always handle seedlings by the leaves, not the stem.
They have only one stem and too much pressure can mortally damage them. They have several leaves plus the capacity to grow more, so I consider them expendable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here