Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Invasive 'tree' keeps sending up shoots

Posted by dirtyheels Massachusetts (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 15:02

Hello All, I live in New England and moved to a new home. My front yard has skinny trees with whip like branches that I cannot get rid of. Chopping seems to beget more shoots. What is effective in removing these trees forever? Thanks for your help or any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Invasive 'tree' keeps sending up shoots

Hi:

You posted in the Maple forum; is the tree that's producing these shoots a maple? If so, what kind?

Do you just want to kill the 'shoots,' or the parent tree?

Is this a case of many seedlings sprouting up, independently of the main tree, or are they literally shoots (coming off the root system of the original plant)? This could impact your ability to kill the shoots without killing the original tree.

Lastly, if you want to kill the original tree, is this all on your property? I ask because I can envision a scenario where the tree is on your neighbor's yard, you chop the shoots on your property & use a concentrate of Glycopyrolate (active ingredient in RoundUp) on the cut sections to kill them, and the neighbor's tree dies...

Richard.

o

Yes, this is on my property. Main tree has been cut to a stump. These are shoots off the the stump. Grow 8'tall and send out thin leaves that look like a fat feather. Not a maple. I want to kill them asap. thanks,

o

Right after you cut them, while the shoots are still green and fresh, apply some Round-Up to the live portion of the shoots. No need to go crazy, just properly apply some.

Think its a willow? A picture is worth a 1000 words.

You can go through all kinds of more trouble digging up your yard and all but this should be minimally tiring and decently effective.

o

Thank you. Mission accomplished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here